Uneven Swelling After Rhinoplasty, What is the Difference in Using Kenelog vs. Diprospan?

I am almost 2 months post op for an open rhinoplasty procedure. My nose looked great when I first came out of surgery but after the first few weeks it swelled up again. Two months later my nose no longer hurts I have been told I have thick skin and that steroid injections may be the answer in regards to scar tissue. What is the difference between Diprospan and Kenelog? I had my heart set on getting a kenelog injection but my surgeon says he only has diprospan. Is diprospan even a steroid?

Kenalog vs Diprospan Injection for Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

The steroid Kenalog (triamcinolone) is injected post rhinoplasty to decrease post operative swelling. In this country, I'm not aware of anybody using Diprospan (betamethasone) for this purpose.

Post operative treatment for rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog is used most commonly in US

Diprosan is betamethasone  (a stronger steroid) and is available in Mexico not sold or approved in US

+1

Kenalog has been used for decades to decrease post Rhinoplasty swelling and chronic scar tissue formation during the first 6 months, or so following a Rhinoplasty.  Diprosan appears to be similar to Betamethasone and I an unaware of its use for this purpose.  

Diprospan versus Kenalog

+1

Diprospan is a steroid called betamethasone.  I have not used this steroid in the U.S.  Outside of the U.S, this steroid is more common.  The basis of steroid injections to help with scar tissue is the same.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon