Is Taping The Nose on Thick Skin Suggested After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am a Latin 31 years old woman who had a closed rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. My doctor removed the cast a week later and left the tape another week. After than he told me that no more tape was necesary. However, I read that specially on thick, oily, olive skins ( as I have) taping the nose for long periods help to reduce swelling and controls scar tissue. Currently my nose is as huge as it was before and I see little change. I have been very disciplined. What would you recomend?

Taping after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your nose has changed significantly with your rhinoplasty surgery. Like your surgeon, I do not feel that taping your nose for more than 2 weeks after surgery would be beneficial. In patients like you with thick skin it will take longer for the swelling to resolve. Your nose will continue to improve for 12-18 months. Be patient!

Does taping the nose help?

+2

The answer is yes, maybe. There are no studies unfortunately. Therefore some doctors do and some don't. My philosophy is, since it has no risk and may help, why not use it. i believe its of possible value for thicker skinned patients and those wanting tip rotation. Its value, if any, clearly diminishes with time and likely has no use after at most a month.  

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Taping The Nose on Thick Skin Suggested After Rhinoplasty?

+2

I do not have my Rhinoplasty patients tape their noses after Rhinoplasty however, I instruct all my Rhinoplasty pateints on manual lymphatic drainage massage, to their nose, beginning 1 month after the Rhinoplasty.

Taping after rhinoplasty

+2

I routinely remove splints and tape at about 1 week. I do not feel taping is beneficial after that point. People with thicker, sebaceous skin tend to swell more and take a little longer with swelling resolution. Be patient and give it time. Eighty percent of swelling is typically resolved within 6-8 weeks.You are not quite half way there. Molding exercises as well as avoiding salty foods and heavy exercise is advisable during this time period. You may require some small steroid injections down the road for optimal results. Good luck!

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping noses

+2

Rhinoplasty patients have a lot of swelling after the procedure, and this may last months.  I do not routinely tape the nose after the splint comes off. There are no scientifc studies that I know of that suggest long term taping to decrease swelling.