What Is The Process To Remove Ear Cartilage from Nose Tip?

The doctor use some of my ear cartilage to lengthen my columella and nose septum 3 months ago. I am very dissatisfied with the results, and want to take out all the ear cartilage from my nose tip. The doctor use a thread to fix the cartilage to my nasal tip.I wonder is it difficult to take the ear cartilage out? Will the surgery hurt my nasal tip cartilage? Will my nose tip return to pre-op condition? How much longer should I wait to have this second surgery? Thanks a lot!!

+1

Yes, an ear cartilage tip graft can be removed during a Revision Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty at approximately 6 months following the previous Rhinoplasty.  From what you describe the ear cartilage graft was sutured to the nasal tip cartilages.  It's appropriate, IMHO, to suture or secure these grafts with sutures or tissue glue but this won't be a problem with removing the graft.  It just means that an open Rhinoplasty or tip plasty would be required to visualize the securing sutures.

IMO, you may not ever have the original nasal tip, even after the ear graft is remove, because some of the tip cartilages may have been surgically removed or altered during the previous Rhinoplasty.  This however doesn't mean that the nasl tip can not be made more aesthetically pleasing and attrcative.

Removing ear cartilage from tip

+1

Cartilage grafts from the ear (or any source) can be removed with revision surgery. It's hard to say what your nose would ultimately look like after this without seeing your nose. I would suggest waiting until about a year after your original surgery to make sure this is something you want done.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Removing Ear Cartilage from Nasal Tip 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Ear cartilage is frequently used in augmentation rhinoplasty and can easily be removed. However, I recommend you wait another 6-9 months before having revision surgery. 

Ear cartilage removal

+1

Cartilage used on the nasal tip is often harvested from the ear or the septum.  If there is too much projection or an unfavorable outcome, it can be removed.

Removing Ear Cartilage from Nasal Tip

+1

This is a common request from patients who have had increased tip projection.  Removing the ear cartilage can be successfully performed but it would be best for you to consult with a board certified specialist in revision rhinoplasty surgery (or Asian Rhinoplasty surgery as this is a common request from Asians who have undergone rhinoplasty).

Kimberly Lee, MD