Could my Shortened Nose Be Made Longer Again? (photo)

I got a rhinoplasty and I think the result made my nose look too short and small for my face. Could it be made longer again? This isn't my picture but its similiar to my situation. Thanks

Projecting A Shortened Nasal Tip

+1

Hi,

Based on the photo you have provided, it looks that the nose is proportionate to the facial features despite the angle of the photo.

That being said, if your situation does require extending your nasal tip then you will be looking at a cartilage graft in addition to the required manipulations so the results will look as natural as possible.

However, it is hard to provide you with specific details without examination.

Please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Lengthening a shortened nose

+1

The picture you actually submitted looks pretty good in my opinion. That being said it is possible to lengthen a shortened nose in several ways depending upon whether or not the septum was also shortened and needs to be lengthened or whether the tip needs to be lengthened and projected.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

A short nose can be lengthened.

+1

If a nose is too short (underprojected), it can be lengthened using tip sutures, possibly a caudal strut (a cartilage graft used to support the lower lateral cartilages at the base of the nose), and possibly with a tip graft (a cartilage graft placed on the lower cartilages to define and project the tip). Cartilage can be obtained from the nasal septum, ear, and less commonly the rib.

Projecting the nose is common in both primary rhinoplasty (first time surgeries) and revisions (repeat surgeries).

Make sure you give enough time for surgery to heal and for swelling to decrease (usually a year or more) before contemplating revision surgery. Discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Lastly, non-surgical rhinoplasty (filler injection) may be an option, although not permanent. Good luck.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Lengthening a nose

+1

Lengthening or augmenting noses is certainly possible and is rather routine in my practice. Adding to a nose in a way that is structurally sound and as natural as possible requires significant effort and time.  Discussion of the options and mechanisms of a revision surgery is always best done in an in-person consultation.   Depending on the amount of lengthening, and depending on whether you have nascent septal cartilage left in your nose, you may potentially need ear or rib cartilage graft to re-lengthen your nose.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lengthening the short nose

+1

There are certain procedures that can be performed to lengthen the shortened nose.  An exam in person would be best to determine how this can be accomplished for you.  Good luck.

Short Nose Syndrome

+1

Absolutely!  However, the "Too Short" nose must be structurally enhanced with various cartilaginous grafts and sometimes allografts (not from self).  The key is "stable structural support" that will not shift or warp over time!  Please contact an experienced Nasal Cosmetic Surgeon.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a nose be lenghtened

+1

The answer is yes. It is done with cartilage grafts. I do it with grafts fro behind the ear. The picture you showed has a short upper lip and it wouldn't be advised

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Could my Shortened Nose Be Made Longer Again?

+1

If your profile does indeed look like this nose, then the angle of tip rotation is approximately 100 degrees that is not too short at all.  Aesthetically speaking, the nasal tip should be ideally rotated at between 105 and 115 degrees, the higher number more appropriate for women. 

Elongating a Shortented Nose

+1

Hi,

Yes you can elongate a foreshortened nose. There are several ways to do this depending on the circumstances. One way is to extend the tip with cartilage grafts. Also deprojecting the tip and shaving the dorsum can elongate the nose. In addition, some patients will benefit from raising the naso-frontal angle or nasion. All of these maneuvers will make the nose appear longer.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Yes it can

+1

You could get a lengthening procedure with a cartilage graft but it almost looks as though you might also benefit from a small chin implant.  Discuss this with you plastic surgeon, but overall I think he/she did a very nice job on your nose.  Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon