Flared Large Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty 9 weeks ago. A had a small hump shaved down, my nose bone broken so it would colapse down some, and cartiladge shaved down on the lower part of my nose (all around the tip) to make that area not as wide. I also had a slight perforation on one side of my nose that was repaired. Ever since the surgery my nostrils are so large, when I look inside of them it looks like they have almost flipped outward instead of having curves a nostril should have. Is this swelling??

Alar or nostril reduction

+2

It is very possible to shorten or narrow the length of your nostrils after a rhinoplasty. It can typically be done under local anesthesia. That being said I would wait at least six months for the rest of your nose to settle down before proceeding with that procedure.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flared nostrils after rhinoplasty

+2

If your nostrils are truly flared and disproportionate after reducing the upper two thirds of your nose, a nostril reduction may be in order.  Fortunately, that procedure is convenient and comfortable under local anesthesia. I agree with the other surgeons- allow 9 months it so for things to settle in before deciding. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Aimee,

I am sorry that you are unsatisfied with the results of your surgery.

However, without before/after photos and examination, it is hard to provide you with a specific reason causing your nostrils to be "large".

That being said, it is very possible that the swelling that follows the rhinoplasty is the only cause to the enlarged nostrils you have.

I recommend that you be a little more patient as you are at less than 2 months post surgery.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Large, Flared Nostrils after Rhnoplasty

+1

It is too soon to evaluate your results. The appearance of your nostrils will change over the next 9-10 months. At that time you will be able to decide if a revision is necessary. Pictures would be helpful.

Why You Have Flared Nostrils After a Rhinoplasty (Nasal Surgery)

+1

While you do expect some swelling after a rhinoplasty, flared nostrils are usually not related to the swelling. The most likely cause for this is that when the nose was made smaller, the surgeon did not account for the accompanying change in nostril shape. If you take the tip of your finger and push down on the tip of your nose you will see that the nostrils tend to flare. The more you push down on your nose, the more the nostrils flare. Part of the preoperative planning for a rhinoplasty is to recognize that if you make the nose  small enough, you will have to account for the nostril flaring and reduce their size as well.It is likely from your description that the size of the nose changed enough to cause the falring that you are seeing. You can fix this either by making an incision on the outside edge of the nostril or on the inside of the nostril. As long as these incisions are closed carefully, the scars are usually unnoticable.The good news is that nostril reduction can be done at any time using a local anesthetic in the office.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flared nostrils after rhino

+1

There are many types of flared nostrils. Some are a snap to fix others are quite difficult to make natural looking. I don't have pictures to evaluate but I am an expert on nostrils. A paper I wrote on nostrilplasty won an award from the Aesthetic society.Send pictures.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Rhinoplasty with flared nostrils.

+1

It is too soon to make any judgement about your nose.  Wait 6-12 months and then send photos to determine if something needs to be done. 

Flared Large Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

+1

The nostrils should not look any larger than before surgery, however, as the result of surgery they look larger because all other parts of your nose have become smaller and refined. Also reduced cartilages can change the shape of your nostrils. You still have to wait for the healing process to complete in order to know how your nose looks like after surgery i.e. at least 9-12 months.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flared Large Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

+1

Photos would help in the evaluation as what you are describing seems unusual after a Rhinoplasty.  Did you ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that did your Rhinoplasty, about this change in the nostrils?  There might be a perfectly good explanation for what your are seeing and this may just be temporary. Hope this helps. 

Flared nostrils

+1

It is hard to comment on your question without pictures. However, swollen nostrils are not that unusual after rhinoplasty. At 9 wks you will still have a fair amount of swelling. Other issues contributing to your concerns could be a result of the tip being de-projected, or a change in orientation of the lower lateral cartilages.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon