My Results from Tumescent Liposuction After 3 Weeks Do Not Look a Difference from Before?

I just had tumescent liposuction 3 weeks ago and a week prior, I notice better results in my abdomen, but I was still really swollen so I figured it would still subside. But this week, I look so bloated and I feel very little swelling which scares me because this looks like my final results. I have had the traditional liposuction years ago and after 2 weeks, my stomach was flat and it stayed for a couple of years until I gained weight. Did my liposuction not work this time?

Liposuction and swelling

+2

Persistent swelling during the early post-op period is fairly common.  Increased activity will also cause swelling.

Swelling & Recovery Following Liposuction: What To Expect

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to suffer significant swelling in the post-operative period.  When severe swelling is present, results are often hard to see following tumescent liposuction.  In some cases, swelling can actually make patients look worse than they did before surgery.  In most cases, swelling resolves in 3 to 4 weeks following treatment, but in some cases may persist for 3 to 4 months following this procedure. 

The vast majority of patients are able to see improvement in 3 to 4 weeks.  In rare cases resolution of swelling may require longer periods of time.  Under these circumstances it’s important to continue the use of compression garments.  In addition, low salt diets, massage and resumption of physical activity can help minimize swelling as well.

Prolonged swelling following tumescent liposuction can obscure the results of this procedure in the immediate post-operative period.  For this reason it’s important to be patient and maintain good communication with your surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

You are a bit early to determine long term results.  If after 3 to 6 months you have not noticed a difference, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Preparing the fat for liposuction using tumescent technique leads to significant postoperative swelling in the remaining fat.

+1

Fluid sequestration in  fat for several weeks after liposuction is common particularly when tumescent fluid is used to prepare the fat for surgery. This will gradually resolve as the weeks pass.

Results after Liposuction

+1

Don't worry!  Many patients do not see significant results for 4-6 weeks.  However, it takes 6-12 Months to see the final result.  It takes a long time for swelling to fully resolve.  In the meantime maintain a stable steady weight and exercise.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Results after three weeks

+1

I see that you have gotten reassurance from other docs replying to your question. Although I agree with them, I don't think we have enough information to say for sure.

For instance, what is you weight? Since we are told 50% of America has a weight problem, I assume that many facing liposuction are facing that issue as well. 

Make sure that your weight has not gone up and if you have a weight issue, address diet and exercise.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

It's normal to have fluctuating swelling after liposuction

+1

Don't worry about having swelling that seems to come and go in the weeks after liposuction. It's perfectly normal. This can go on for weeks and even months in some cases. The treated area is just reactive and depending on your activity, eating habits (more or less salt, for example), and restriction of clothing you'll notice differences in the degree of fluid retention in the area. Keep your follow-up visits with your physician and don't worry.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after #liposu

+1

It's very common to have swelling off and on after liposuction. IT might take a few weeks to even months before u see any results. 

Misbah Khan, MD