Is miraDry Safe While I'm Still Breastfeeding?

I would like to get this done, but plan to breastfeed my baby. Would it cause any problems while I'm breastfeeding?

MiraDry and Breastfeeding

+2

I do not recommend miraDry during breastfeeding and as a matter of fact, you should not get any procedures while breastfeeding unless they are life threatening.

Buffalo General Surgeon

No, it is not safe.

+2

No, being that we will be injecting lidocaine into the area and it would not be safe for the baby.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Do not receive miraDry treatment while breast-feeding

+2

One should not receive miraDry treatment while breast-feeding as lidocaine is injected into the underarm area prior to treatment and could potentially cross into the breast milk.  However, as soon as you stop breast-feeding, it is safe to do.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Express feed...safe but uncomfortable

+1
My suggestion is that you have this procedure after breast feeding, as the swelling can be quite marked. Swelling you see is not of the breast tissue, but because of gravity and the way you sleep, the swelling from the armpit may affect the surrounding tissue, making breast feeding uncomfortable. To answer your question about safety-

1. I would express feed / bottle feed 4 hours post (as lidocaine with adrealine is used) - this covers the safety aspect.

2. I would delay miraDry procedure for excessive underarm sweating until after breast feeding- from a comfort point of view. 

I hope this gives a balanced answer

All the best

Dr Davin S. Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry should not affect future breastfeeding

+1

It sounds like you are wondering whether women who plan to breastfeed in the future can be miraDry.  miraDry will not affect your ability to breastfeed in the future.  

However, if you are currently breastfeeding, I would recommend that you wait until you have stopped breastfeeding.  This is an elective procedure and can be scheduled at your convenience.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Yes if you stop for 24 hrs

+1

Miradry treatment requires local anesthesia to be have tolerable level of pain control. Lidocaine  is the agent of choice and it is gone from the body within several hours. To be  safe stop breast feeding for 24 hrs. It is a time proven and reasonable rule used for any procedures under local anesthesia

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD