What Should I Expect Immediately After Doing miraDry? Ok to Go Back to Work?

Would it be best if I scheduled the rest of the day off, or should I be ok to go right back to work after?

Swelling, soreness and bruising are common post miraDry

+2

Most patients experience swelling, soreness and bruising post-procedure.  However, those side effects should be manageable with the use of ice packs & ibuprofen.  You should be able to return to work, provided it’s not vigorous exercising.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

What to expect after miraDry treatment

+1

After miraDry most patients return immediately to their normal activities including work and exercise. Most patients have a good bit of swelling - almost like lumpiness - under the arms that you will feel and can be a bit uncomfortable but typically does not keep you from any activities. There is also at least a little bit of bruising in the treatment area only. We consider it a treatment with zero downtime as these side effects are short lived - 4-10 days - and do not keep you from the things you want and need to do.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Expectations after miraDry

+1

MiraDry is associated with minimal to no downtime and patients may resume their normal activities on the same day of treatment.  Expected treatemnt side effects may include swelling and bruising.  A few, rare cases of temporary altered sensation have been reported, with all instances of altered sensation resolving on their own.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and return to work within 24 hours

+1

Most patients return to work the following day. I had a radiologist as a patient who went to work right after having the procedure as he used a microphone to dictate radiology reports for 8 hours. I have had an insurance broker who went to work right after. Most patients chooes to return to wor the following day. Take several days off if you are a police officer or fire fighter in order to ensure that you can do your job safely. There is some bruising but lumpiness of the skin which dissipates and is effectively treated with a non steroidal anti inflammatory like ibuprofen and also topical hydrocortisone creme.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

MiraDry results in mild swelling and moderate discomfort for 2-3 days

+1

After the numbing medication wears off from the 1-hour in-office miraDry procedure, you will notice mild to moderate swelling and discomfort.  This should not prevent you from sitting at your desk or going about your activities of daily living.  It may take several days before you are able to resume vigorous exercise.  Taking ibuprofen and icing the area for at least 24 hours can help to reduce the downtime.  

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Yes you can return!

+1

Most patients go to work afterward. The area can be slightly sore for one to three days and some swelling can be expected. However, this should not preclude normal activities.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Minimal downtime from MiraDry treatment for underarm excess sweating

+1

Almost everyone with office/desk job should be able to return to work the very next morning after MiraDry treatment for underarm excess sweating or hyperhidrosis. Sometimes, one may experience mild swelling and nonspecific sensitivity in the areas that are treated.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon