Is There a Risk of Having my Skin Burnt by miraDry?

I have sensitive skin. Since it uses microwaves I'm a bit concerned it could burn my skin. Have you seen this happen or is it a non-concern?

Up to the User

+3

Burns can happen with treatment of any energy or light based device. However, in experienced hands, that possibility is generally removed.

Skin complication rare from MiraDry treatment for excessive underarm sweating

+3

MiraDry technology delivers cool zone to protect top layer of the skin while providing a heat zone below that wipes out most of the sweat glands at the underarms. On very rare occasion when there is bruising, we offer courtesy VBeam laser which can expedite resolution of any black and blue on the skin after MiraDry treatment for excessive underarm sweating or hyperhidrosis.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Extremely small risk of burning and bruising after miraDry

+3

Although uncommon, there is an extremely small risk of burning and bruising from treatment.  If this does occur, it can be easily treated. 

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Never seen that complication in my practice

+2

This kind of serious complication is certainly possible but never encountered in our clinic. These are typical potential complications:

There are 3 categories of  potential side effects associated with miraDry procedure.

Common Side Effects:

- swelling in the treated area  ( 1-8  weeks)
  - Soreness, discomfort or tenderness of the treated area  ( 2-3 weeks)
  - altered sensation in or around treatment area  (1-12 weeks)
  - redness from device suction ( few days)
  - bruising at the injection sites ( few days)
  - temporary bumps or lumpiness in the axilla ( 4-6 weeks)
  - partial underarm hair loss  ( long term)

Less Common Side Effects:

- swelling in adjacent arm or torso  ( 1 week)
  - hyperpigmentation ( up to 8 weeks)
  - soreness in arm or shoulder due to procedure positioning  ( few days)
  - numbness or tingling in the arm due to anesthesia, lasting < 24 hours ( <1 day)
  - tight band in the treated area ( up to 8 weeks)
  - small blisters or rashes in the treatment area ( few weeks)

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

MiraDry technology is equipped with a cooling system to prevent the skin’s surface from burning

+2

The miraDry® system does use microwave technology to selectively destroy the sweat glands under the arms, however, the technology is equipped with a cooling system to prevent the skin’s surface from burning and minimize procedure discomfort. The underarms are also numbed with local anesthetic before miraDry® treatment to ensure patient comfort.  Although very uncommon in the hands of certified provider, this procedure does carry the risk of side effects such as minor swelling and skin disruption. It’s important to discuss all your concerns and health history with a board certified dermatologist before treatment.

Ashley R. Curtis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

So far, no significant side effects!

+2

We have now treated dozens of patients and have yet to see a thermal injury with MiraDry. The most likely side effect of this nature would probably be a blister. However the Hydroceramic cooling plate is very effective in avoiding this problem.

Michael L. Maris, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

The "microwave technology" used by miraDry does not harm the surface of the skin

+2

The "microwave technology" does not harm the surface of the skin due to a built-in cooling mechanism that cools the surface. Microwave technology bypasses the epidermis and delivers precisely controlled electromagnetic energy to the region where the sweat glands reside.

Suzanne Kilmer, MD
Sacramento Dermatologist

Possibly, but very unlikely

+1
In any procedure where by heat or laser light, radiofrequency, or electromagnetic energy is used to HEAT up skin or components of skin, there IS a risk of burning. miraDry has an in built system that helps reduce the risk of burning compared to having no skin cooling. A vaccum pulls up the skin, and cools it down, as we want to target the sweat glands involved, and not the skin. 
The risk of burning is small. 

Regards

Dr Davin S. Lim
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry and Safety

+1

A burn should not be of any concern. I have never seen one happen in my practice nor heard of it with any of my colleagues. It is a safe and effective technique/treatment.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Miradry in Los Angeles

+1

Miradry will work well to reduce excess sweating in the axillary area. The technology minimizes the risks of burning as the energy is applied deeper into tissue. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS