Will Miradry Increase my Risk of Cancer?

I am 31 years old and have had axillary hyperhidrosis since the age of 13. I have used CertainDri (which sometimes works, but causes intense burning and itching), and have contemplated Botox. However, I would like to try to conceive in the next year and would also prefer to find a long-term solution to my hyperhidrosis rather than a temporary bandaid. I'm concerned that since Miradry is so new, that we may not know the long-term effects.

MIRADRY RISK

+1
MiraDry does not use radiation, rather microwave technology.  Its safety has been validated by a number of regulatory agencies throughout the world, including the US FDA.  I am comfortable using it on any and all of my qualified patients.

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

No...

+1
MiraDry uses electromagnetic energy, ie. microwave technology to heat up and destroy your apocrine and eccrine sweat glands. This is NOT radiation injury. To date miraDry has been deemed safe by the FDA, US, CE, Europe, and most recently the TGA in Australia for the treatment of excessive underarm sweating. 

Hope this places your mind at rest. 

Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry is safe and effective

+1

Hi there-

The great many patients who have been treated with miraDry over the multiple years of research now have not ever experienced a link of any kind to cancer. The microwave energy used in the procedure is very tightly focused at the depth of the sweat glands, and this limited penetration is a major reason for its high degree of safety.

It is also worth pointing out that among all procedures on this site, miraDry has been among the 2 or 3 with the very highest rates of patient satisfaction.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Miradry

+1

MiraDry is a safe and effective solution to hyperhidrosis for underarms. There has never been a single report of cancer related to this type of technology. It is FDA approved and has gone through rigorous types of tests and studies.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

MiraDry procedure

+1

Miradry is a safe, effective and minimally-invasive procedure for treating excessive underarm sweating.  No incidences of cancer due to miraDry have been reported and a cancer due to miraDry is highly unlikely to occur given the nature of the miraDry procedure.  MiraDry utilizes microwave technology, which has been around for decades, to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits.  It does this by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  MiraDry is the only FDA-approved procedure that offers long-lasting results.  Studies demonstrate that miraDry results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and cancer risk

+1

This is a question most often asked by mom for their teenage daughters and by women - in regards to breast cancer - as the lower part of the axilla and upper outer breasts tissue are overalapping. Tyically the bulk of the treatment grid is in the hair bearing area and we also treat areas below that where there is hyperhidrosis. Energy delivey is within the confines of the skin and several mm below and therefore risk of developing breast cancer is not a concern according to the company that got FDA approval for the device. No evidence of skin cancer has been shown with the use of this device. If you have such concerns, don't get the procedure.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

There is no evidence that miradry has any long term harmful effects

+1

The energy used by miradry is only absorbed skin deep.  The procedure is safe and there is no data to suggest that there is any long term side effects associated with this procedure.  The satisfaction rate with this procedure among patients is extremely high.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

MiraDry is Microwave Based Heat Technology That Has Been Used for Over a Decade

+1

MiraDry is microwave based heat technology that has been used for over a decade in medicine. There is no data to suggest that there will be any issues with conceiving. In fact, in my NYC office I had a nurse who became pregnant soon after she herself was treated with MiraDry The baby, now born, is gorgeous!

David Goldberg, MD