MiraDry Laser for Hands and Feet?

I see the MiraDry advertised for the underarms, will it ever be available for the hands and feet? Why wouldn't it work there too?

At this time, Miradry is not safe for use in the hands and feet.  Representatives from the company have informed our practice that this may come at a later date when the technology has been developed for that indication.

We routinely perform Miradry in our office and have been amazed at the permanent reduction / elimination of underarm sweating in just 1-2 treatments.

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Miradry gives lasting results to stop underarm sweating

it works using microwave technology to heat the area where the sweat glands reside.  A vacuum action is applied to bring the skin away from the underlying structures.  Currently that is the barrier to using it on the hands and feet.  However, technology always improves over time, so we will see what will happen in the next few years.  You can also try topical robinul/glycopyrrholate, or pills, or iontophoresis treatments at home to decrease the sweating.  See your board certified dermatologist for options.  Best to you, Dr. Jacob

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Miradry for armpit sweating

I have co-authored a book on Miradry and continue to see very positive results with treatment. I am aware of several studies evaluating non-armpit treatment.  Until the treatments are FDA approved, I would consider using Botox injections. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry and miraSmooth treatment outside of the underarms

At this point in time, miraDry and miraSmooth are only indicated for treatment in the axillae, or underarm area.
This is because the hand piece, specifically, and system in general were designed with the anatomy of this body area in mind.  To adapt this to other parts of the body requires modifications to both, to make sure the energy is delivered safely and effectively.  So it's not so much a question of whether or not the technology will work, but how to use it in such a way that it works safely.

Jeremy A. Brauer, MD

The Miradry must first be tested for safety in treating areas such as the hands and feet. The Miradry has the potential to affect nerves and other structures in the skin, and must be tested first for efficacy and safety.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry for hands and feet

MiraDry has been shown to be safe and effective for axillary sweating only.

It has not been proven for hands and feet, and one should not assume safety in those regions. At this stage, we would not recommend its use for hands and feet.

Underarms only

Hi Em in GA, 

Miradry is designed to be used on the underarms.
It is not designed for hands and feet and has not yet been evaluated for effectiveness in those areas.  

However, we all hope that Miradry will develop additional treatments to address hyperhidrosis for hands and feet in the future.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr. Chwalek

Jennifer Chwalek, MD

MiraDry not available for hands and feet.

It is not currently available for the hands and feet.  It is emphasized during purchase and training on the device that we not use it on the hands and feet.  I believe it is because there are small nerves in the hands and feet that could be damaged by the device.  I do think the company may be working on perfecting this treatment for the future, but until it's properly tested and FDA approved, I would not suggest it.

Allison Readinger, MD
Fort Worth Dermatologist

NOT for hands and feet

miraDry works by controlled thermal (heating) of the sweat glands, whilst cooling the upper layers of the skin. 
To date, it is super safe and very effective for underarm sweating, however if for hands and feet- it is not indicated. Possibly due to the proximity of nerves and tendons (especially in the hands). 

I am sure a similar treatment will be there within the next few years. In the mean time, the use of Glycopyrrolate iontophoresis is the best option in my opinion. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry Not FDA approved for Hands and Feet

MiraDry is only FDA approved for the underarms. Technology is always improving so maybe in the near future there will be a solution for the hands and feet. As for now, Botox is a great temporary solutions.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD