MiraDry Laser for Hands and Feet?

I see the MiraDry advertised for the underarms, will it ever be available for the hands and feet? Why wouldn't it work there too?

At this time, Miradry is not safe for use in the hands and feet.  Representatives from the company have informed our practice that this may come at a later date when the technology has been developed for that indication.

We routinely perform Miradry in our office and have been amazed at the permanent reduction / elimination of underarm sweating in just 1-2 treatments.

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

1680 Route 23
Wayne, NJ 07470

Miradry gives lasting results to stop underarm sweating

it works using microwave technology to heat the area where the sweat glands reside.  A vacuum action is applied to bring the skin away from the underlying structures.  Currently that is the barrier to using it on the hands and feet.  However, technology always improves over time, so we will see what will happen in the next few years.  You can also try topical robinul/glycopyrrholate, or pills, or iontophoresis treatments at home to decrease the sweating.  See your board certified dermatologist for options.  Best to you, Dr. Jacob

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

20 W. Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60654

The Miradry must first be tested for safety in treating areas such as the hands and feet. The Miradry has the potential to affect nerves and other structures in the skin, and must be tested first for efficacy and safety.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

366 Veterans Memorial Highway
Commack, NY 11725

MiraDry for hands and feet

MiraDry has been shown to be safe and effective for axillary sweating only.

It has not been proven for hands and feet, and one should not assume safety in those regions. At this stage, we would not recommend its use for hands and feet.

Roger Bell, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Vascular Surgeon

59 Holmes Road
Moonee Ponds, VIC 3039

Underarms only

Hi Em in GA, 

Miradry is designed to be used on the underarms.
It is not designed for hands and feet and has not yet been evaluated for effectiveness in those areas.  

However, we all hope that Miradry will develop additional treatments to address hyperhidrosis for hands and feet in the future.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr. Chwalek

Jennifer Chwalek, MD

19 Union Square West
New York, NY 10003

MiraDry not available for hands and feet.

It is not currently available for the hands and feet.  It is emphasized during purchase and training on the device that we not use it on the hands and feet.  I believe it is because there are small nerves in the hands and feet that could be damaged by the device.  I do think the company may be working on perfecting this treatment for the future, but until it's properly tested and FDA approved, I would not suggest it.

Allison Readinger, MD
Fort Worth Dermatologist

800 8th Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104

NOT for hands and feet

miraDry works by controlled thermal (heating) of the sweat glands, whilst cooling the upper layers of the skin. 
To date, it is super safe and very effective for underarm sweating, however if for hands and feet- it is not indicated. Possibly due to the proximity of nerves and tendons (especially in the hands). 

I am sure a similar treatment will be there within the next few years. In the mean time, the use of Glycopyrrolate iontophoresis is the best option in my opinion. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

185 Moggill Road
Brisbane, QLD 4068

MiraDry Not FDA approved for Hands and Feet

MiraDry is only FDA approved for the underarms. Technology is always improving so maybe in the near future there will be a solution for the hands and feet. As for now, Botox is a great temporary solutions.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology Is Indistinguishable From Magic

Miradry is a system specifically designed to treat axillary hyperhidrosis. It does this by pulling the skin of the axilla away from the underlying anatomic structures and then heating the apocrine sweat glands, which lie at the junction of the deepest layer of the skin and the subcutaneous fat, with enough microwave energy to shut down the function of these glands. It is theoretically possible to use the same technique to treat hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet, etc., but the anatomy of these areas is different from that of the axilla, and so the design of the system would have to be modified accordingly. But I would not be surprised to see this done in the not too distant future.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

3680 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Miradry is for excessive underarm sweating

To date, miraDry is FDA-approved for treating excessive sweating in the armpit area only.  The miraDry hand piece is specifically designed to fit against and apply slight suction to the shape of an armpit.  Even if you were to attempt it on the feet, you may not be able to get enough suction to ensure an adequate treatment.  There are also important structures such as tendons, nerves and blood vessels that are closer to the surface of the skin on the palms and soles than in the armpit and could possibly get damaged by performing miraDry there.  Other treatment options available for excessive sweating on the hands and feet include topical medications, oral medications, iontophoresis and Botox injections.  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

175 I.U. Willets Road
Roslyn Heights, NY 11507