MiraDry Laser for Hands and Feet?

I see the MiraDry advertised for the underarms, will it ever be available for the hands and feet? Why wouldn't it work there too?

Miradry gives lasting results to stop underarm sweating

+2

it works using microwave technology to heat the area where the sweat glands reside.  A vacuum action is applied to bring the skin away from the underlying structures.  Currently that is the barrier to using it on the hands and feet.  However, technology always improves over time, so we will see what will happen in the next few years.  You can also try topical robinul/glycopyrrholate, or pills, or iontophoresis treatments at home to decrease the sweating.  See your board certified dermatologist for options.  Best to you, Dr. Jacob

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry not available for hands and feet.

+1
It is not currently available for the hands and feet.  It is emphasized during purchase and training on the device that we not use it on the hands and feet.  I believe it is because there are small nerves in the hands and feet that could be damaged by the device.  I do think the company may be working on perfecting this treatment for the future, but until it's properly tested and FDA approved, I would not suggest it.

Allison Readinger, MD
Fort Worth Dermatologist

NOT for hands and feet

+1
miraDry works by controlled thermal (heating) of the sweat glands, whilst cooling the upper layers of the skin. 
To date, it is super safe and very effective for underarm sweating, however if for hands and feet- it is not indicated. Possibly due to the proximity of nerves and tendons (especially in the hands). 

I am sure a similar treatment will be there within the next few years. In the mean time, the use of Glycopyrrolate iontophoresis is the best option in my opinion. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry Not FDA approved for Hands and Feet

+1

MiraDry is only FDA approved for the underarms. Technology is always improving so maybe in the near future there will be a solution for the hands and feet. As for now, Botox is a great temporary solutions.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology Is Indistinguishable From Magic

+1

Miradry is a system specifically designed to treat axillary hyperhidrosis. It does this by pulling the skin of the axilla away from the underlying anatomic structures and then heating the apocrine sweat glands, which lie at the junction of the deepest layer of the skin and the subcutaneous fat, with enough microwave energy to shut down the function of these glands. It is theoretically possible to use the same technique to treat hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet, etc., but the anatomy of these areas is different from that of the axilla, and so the design of the system would have to be modified accordingly. But I would not be surprised to see this done in the not too distant future.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Miradry is for excessive underarm sweating

+1

To date, miraDry is FDA-approved for treating excessive sweating in the armpit area only.  The miraDry hand piece is specifically designed to fit against and apply slight suction to the shape of an armpit.  Even if you were to attempt it on the feet, you may not be able to get enough suction to ensure an adequate treatment.  There are also important structures such as tendons, nerves and blood vessels that are closer to the surface of the skin on the palms and soles than in the armpit and could possibly get damaged by performing miraDry there.  Other treatment options available for excessive sweating on the hands and feet include topical medications, oral medications, iontophoresis and Botox injections.  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry only for armpits (not hands or feet)

+1

miraDry is only FDA approved for treating underarms.  We can't treat hands and feet, though these are other common areas for excessive sweating. The reason is that there are a lot of nerves and other important structures in your hands and feet.  We don't want to destroy these important structures in an attempt to reduce sweating!

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

MiraDry is FDA approved for the underarms, not hands and feet ..

+1

miraDry is FDA approved for hyperhidrosis of the underarms only. Other areas of the body, like the hands and feet have vital structures that are too close to the skin and are at increased risk of injury - this includes the digital arteries in the hands and feet, venous structures and branches of the median nerve, ulnar nerve in the hand. Stay tuned, however, as there are several companies out there (that I am aware of)  that are developing technologies to treat hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet with 'other' energy sources - RF, focused ultrasound, cryotherapy, etc. This technology should be out in the next several years for clinical use in patients with hyperhidrosis of the palms and feet. Read the miraDry book for free on the weblink below.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

It works for under arms for now stay tuned for the future

+1

Hyperhidrosis occurs in a number of different locations on the body, but the main areas of concern are the armpits , hands, and feet and sometimes face.

So far MiraDry, non-invasive, microwave-based device received FDA clearence for treating patients with primary axillary ( underarm) hyperhydrosis only. However, the Miramar Labs company is working on developing treatment for hands and feet and face. For these areas Botox maybe the only solution for now

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Miradry is not for hands and feet.

+1

Unfortunately Miradry is only approved for treatments of armpits. However, we can treat hands and feet effectively with Botox.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD