Is MiraDry Really a Safe Treatment for Hyperhidrosis?

Will the microwave energy in the MiraDry system destroy the fat as well as the eccrine glands, leaving one with "crepey" loose skin in the axilla following treatment? Any other potential downsides? For instance, can the glands regenerate following photothermolysis?

Miradry and Sweat Glands

+1

Once the microwave technology destroys the sweat glands it is permanent. Sweat glands do not and cannot regenerate. MiraDry is a great option for hyperhidrosis to the underarms.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com/lasers-and-injectable-procedures/skin-rejuvenation-los-angeles/miradry/

Hyperhidrosis of the axilla

+1

Miradry works well to address hyperhidrosis of the axilla in patients.  The safety record has been established clinically and the technology works well. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

It appears to be very safe

+1

MiraDry cooling system protects skin during treatment. We have been using hte system for almost 2 years now and do not encountered any of these problems. Satisfaction rate is very high and so far no problems

Web reference: http://drturowski.com/miradry-chicago.html

MiraDry may help tighten the skin

+1

Thanks for your question.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  Energy at this specific level of treatment does not significantly reach the fat and may actually help tighten the skin.  Studies demonstrate that results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/miradry.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry is safe and does not cause lipolysis or dermatosclerosis

+1

miraDry is safe and applies microwave energy skin deep (dermis) with no effect on underlying fatty tissue and I have (nor have others) seen any untoward side effects of skin thickening or long lasting scarring or leatheriness of the skin. More likely to have probems with the fatty tissue with the good old fashioned suction curettage or the jerry rigged laser version of suction curettage (SDLA procedure).

Web reference: http://www.freeMDpr.com

Buffalo General Surgeon

No effect from miradry on fat

+1

There is no reports of changes in the fat as the energy is primary directed at the dermis.  I suspect that we will discover that miradry may make the skin in the armpits tighter which may be a positive outcome for many individuals.

MiraDry is quite safe and does not harm the fat, and may tighten skin.

+1

miraDry is quite safe and does not harm the fat or create loose skin. If anything, it tightens skin. The underarm area is usually normal in appearance after the initial swelling resolves. After 4 years of performing miraDry, going back to the earliest experimental work, I have been quite impressed with its safety. I have also not seen any indication that the eccrine sweat glands regenerate as I follow patients years after treatment. It is a wonderful choice for people with severe underarm sweating.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.