How Long Should You Wait Between Fractional CO2 Laser Treatments After Treating Deep Acne Scars?

I have ice pick & boxcar scars. I was treated with Deep FX 3 months ago & am seeing good improvement. I don't want to compromise my progress with scar treatment. Unfortunately, I risked TCA Cross last year and ended up with deeper pits and additional scarring. Deep FX has reversed some of that damage. I have met with a few doctors who are recommending Total FX, Fraxel Repair or Mixto. I am getting conflicting opinions on when I should proceed with my second fractional CO2 laser treatment.

Deep FX for acne scars

+3

Deep FX is one setting on the Lumenis Ultrapulse machine. There is a different handle which performs what is called Active FX. When both of these are performed together it is called Total FX. Deep FX often is the best treatment for deep acne scars. After full healing and no redness (it seems you are are at this point) then another treatment may be performed. I certainly would go back to your same doctor since you already had good results. Let them decide which of the treatments would be best for you at this point. In my practice I often perform a Total FX treatment first and then plan to follow up with an Active FX treatment which does more of a polishing of the skin but does not work as well on the deep scars. It really depends on how your scars look at this point.

How long to wait between Fraction CO2 treatments for acne scars

+3

Dear Patient,

It is wonderful that you are seeing improvement in acne scars after one treatment with fractional CO2 laser. It is usually recommended to wait 2-3 months between treatments and  undergo 3-5 treatments in order to see ideal results. So as long as your skin is healed and has no residual discoloration from the previous treatments, and you are seeing improvement in the scars, then you are ready for the next treatment session. Please consult your laser surgeon to confirm and plan you next treatment. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist

Wait Time Between Fractional CO2 Laser Treatments After Treating Deep Acne Scars?

+1
Thank you for your question. I recommend waiting for 6 months, or at least considering it then. Waiting a year may be good, but at 6 moths, we treat again and with good results. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon