Will a Jaw Augmentation with Implants Tighten the Skin of my Lower Face?

I'm wondering if getting a jaw augmentation would pull the skin of my lower face back slightly. I'm way too young for a facelift, but I feel like by augmenting my jaw it would have the effect of pulling my facial skin to accomidate the implant...is this an accurate assumption? I attached a diagram of the type of implant I'm thinking about.

Jaw Augmentation with Silicone Implants

+1

Hi Elise,

Jaw augmentation will change the appearance of the lower face and skin. However, it does not directly tighten the skin like a face lift or neck lift. Younger patients more commonly have inadequate bone structure rather than excess or loose skin, as compared to older patients. As a result, younger patients may benefit from silicone facial implants rather than a face lift.

Small or receded chins are relatively common. While more appropriate for a woman, small chins are usually not ideal for a man. Chin augmentation is normally combined with rhinoplasty or face lift surgery, or done alone. Chin treatment options include the following:

•     orthognathic surgery - teeth are aligned, upper & lower jaws are broken, and both are brought forward
  •     sliding genioplasty - lower jaw chin bone advanced, without teeth alignment
  •     chin implant - material placed in front of chin bone, typically silicone

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and each is not appropriate for everyone. Silicone chin implant is the most common procedure to augment the chin and improve the jawline. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The procedure is not designed to do that. Although that may be the case and you may see an improvement in your condition if your skin has minimal sagging you may be disappointed with the results and you may not like the new shape of your jaw.

I would not recommend that.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon