Itching 1 Day Post Op?

I am one day post op. My breasts are tight and sore which I know is normal. But they are itchy as well. Itchy around the bottom crease and near my armpits. Is this normal? The insicion was done under my breast where the crease is. I guess it feels like a wound healing (which is often accompanied with itchiness). Just wanted to check, as I have not found a single post where women talk about itching around the breast right after the operation. My post op appt is not for another 4 days.

Itchiness after breast augmentation

+1
Itchiness can accompany stretching skin and sensory changes, both of which are common following surgery. However, it can also indicate irritation, which may be caused by your post-surgery bra. If it's not the bra, then you may want to start very gently applying moisturizer to your breasts, avoiding the incisions. Be very gentle when applying the moisturizer.

Itching 1 Day Post Op?

+1
May be normal as a lot of nerves are stretched during the surgery, but you must also consider the prep solution used for the surgery, the dressings placed at the end of the surgery, or consider the medications such as antibiotics or pain medications.  Monitor for any rash as well, but also notify your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Itching One Day After Breast Augmentation

+1

This may be organic in nature, but allergic reaction from adhesives may be the cause.  Always contact the plastic surgeon if you have concern about an allergic reaction.

That annoying itch after breast augmentation surgery, here's a simple tip

+1

Hello Redwall1,

I totally understand what you are saying.  Here is something to consider:  most women who have breast augmentation surgery have stretching of their skin.  The same thing occurs with pregnancy.

Sometimes the stretched skin looks shiney, feels very firm AND ITCHES.  My patients tell me this all the time.

Areas that can feel particularly tight and itchy include:

1.  the lower portion of the breast- between the crease and the nipple, including the areola 

2. the outside wall of the breast- toward the armpit.

Those are 2 areas that are somewhat 'expandable' to accomodate the large size of the implant.

Certainly medications, tape, glue, stitches and soaps can contribute to, or be the cause of, itching but I most often see it as a  function of the stretched, tight skin.  It is not uncommon for the skin to look dry and flakey over the next couple of weeks.  The same things happens with pregnancy

TIP:

Although you should check with your surgeon, I have my patients start massaging their breasts starting post op day 1 with a moisturizer and apply baby oil while in the shower.  

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Itching 1 Day Post Op?

+1

This is quite common. Likeliest causes are:

• the pain medicines,
  • the prep from surgery,
  • the dressing (including the bra)
  • and the tapes (Steristrips ) that may have been used.

My best advice is to call your surgeon for instructions.

Thanks, best wishes.

Itching after surgery may have a number of sources.

+1

Itching is usually caused by localized release of histamine in the skin.  This can be created by the operation itself, by irritation to the skin, or by narcotics that cause the mast cells to release histamine.

Itching after breast augmentation

+1

Itching may be the result of irritation from the bandages and dressing.  Best to ask your doctor and perhaps be seen. It could be an allergic reaction to medications, bandages, etc..

Itching after Breast Augmentation

+1

Itching may be due to bandages and/or your bra.  Also consider medication allergies but the itching with this tends to be generalized.  Please mention this to your PS at your follow up appointment.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Itching is normal, Redness is not.

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Itching is normal after surgery and is due to the wound healing, nerves healing, prep used during surgery, or simply due to stretch.  Redness and warms to the area are not normal and could be a sign of infection.  Redness can also be a sign of an allergic reaction as well.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have a physical exam regarding this for diagnosis.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Itching after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource for specific advice or reassurance. Generally speaking however, some itching  is quite commonly experienced after breast augmentation surgery.  It will be important to rule out an allergic reaction;  if you develop a rash,  significant swelling, or difficulty breathing ( extremely rare) … call your plastic surgeon  for  immediate advice.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.