IPL Vs Pulsed Dye Laser for Post Acne Redness

Which is better in treating post acne redness? What i expect from the treatment is to help lighten the flat red lesions on my skin as much as possible. I've had this marks which aver very persistant and never faded away.

Lasers

+1

Pulsed dye laser is the best for red scars- like even stretch marks, regular scars as long as they have some redness in them.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed Dye Lasers - Better than IPL for Red Acne Scars

+1

The gold standard for vascular (red) skin conditions like red acne scars is pulsed dye lasers. While IPL may be able to help, they are not specifically designed to treat redness, while pulsed dye lasers are. You ill get a quicker and more dramatic result with pulsed dye lasers than IPL for your situation.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

PDL works best for red acne scars

+1

I routinely use the pulsed dye laser to treat active acne lesions and red marks left as a result of previous acne. The PDL is very safe and typically has very little risk of adverse effects if used properly. I have treated both light and darker-skinned patients with the PDL for this indication with typically excellent results. Multiple treatments are usually needed to lighten these red marks depending upon the initial severity of the condition. Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

What to do for post-acne redness

+1

While IPL and pulse dye laser are both very good for red lesions, I would favor them for blood vessels, angiomas or telangiectases. I believe a series of superficial TCA peels, 6-8 at 4 weeks apart, would substantially improve the redness that can follow acne lesions. Sometimes lower tech choices are cheaper, safer, and more effective than lasers!

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Either

+1

You will likely need fewer sessions with the PDL, but IPL will never cause bruising and also helps with skin texture and brown spots. Both are excellent, safe options.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Pulse Dye is better for acne redness

+1

I have both state-of-the-art devices. In my experience, when you are dealing with anything red, pulse dye laser treat is always the better treatment. When I am dealing with both redness and dark patches or spots or large areas of discoloration, IPL is a great choice. But for pure vascular redness, pulse dye is the gold standard.

I hope you find my answer helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist