IPL for Veins Around Eyes?

Just some background on the eyes: They were perfectly fine until 2006 Sept. when I started to develop very faint dark circles underneath my eyes. My skin is fair. I was still a teenager back then and related the cause to lack of sleep and that the would be fine after a while.

From 2006 to 2008 the dark circles just kept becoming worse and worse. By 2009 Summer, I started noticing that my upper eyelids also had veins. My whole eye-patch area started to look red and inflamed.

Will IPL help these veins?

IPL and veins

+1

While IPL can help the rudy complexion of rosacea and other redness causing syndromes, the best treatmeent for small veins is using a vascular laser such as the cleascan from Sciton which basicallay "spot welds" them closed.

Tough problem-- may improve with Nd:Yag Laser

+1

As you can tell from the other doctor's suggestions, this is indeed a tough problem that is very difficult to treat-- both because of the delicate nature of these blood vessels and the close proximity to the eyes.

An IPL will be ineffective for treatment of these veins.  I have had some success with Nd:Yag laser to these types of vessels- one needs to be very careful treating around the eyes.  A special eye shield  must be used to prevent damage to the eye.  

Best of Luck!

-Dr Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Diode 532nm laser for facial veins

+1

IPL helps to minimize background rosy complexion and pigmentation irregularity; however it does not do much for dilated capillaries, i.e. telangiectasia. Diode laser 532nm or frequency-double Nd:Yag 1064nm can be helpful. Care must be taken for facial vein treatment around the eyes and should be done with consultation with an ophthalmologist.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL will not help veins around eyes

+1

IPL works very well for small broken blood vessels which are red in color, but is fairly ineffective for larger, blue colored veins.  The only solution that is likely to be effective involves an incision and cautery of these vessels.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL will not work for those veins

+1

You might get results from a pulse dye laser or a ndYag but I would worry about long term bruising from those devices that could stain the skin and be hard to get rid of. This is a tough problem.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL for eyelid veins?

+1

The veins in your eyelids would not be corrected by IPL treatments unfortunately. There is no non-invasive way I am aware of that is successful either. This is a tough problem.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Treating visible veins on the eyelids

+1

I have sucessfully treated visible veins on the lids with a 1064nm laser but I get very nervous about doing this. Veins around the eyes do not have valves so theoretically if the laser caused a clot to form it could get to the retina and cause a venous obstruction. Granted the risks are low, but there is no risk to using make-up.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

IPL PhotoFacial treatments will not improve visible veins under your eyelid skin.

+1

I see the superficial blue veins in your upper eyelid photo. I'm not aware of any non-invasive topical treatment, like IPL, to coagulate and eliminate these.

As we age, the veins under our thin eyelid skin become more visible. When they're present in the lower eyelid along an area of hollowing, I've found that Injectable Fillers to the hollowed area will lift the skin away from the veins and make them less visible. Simillarly, visible veins in the hands are minimized with Injectable Fillers.

I don't think Injectable Fillers would be a good application to your upper lids. These veins are probably difficult to see with your eyes open.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon