KTP Laser Vs. IPL for Broken Capillaries on Face?

I saw two different derms seeking help with two red broken caps on the side of my nose, and a small cluster of broken caps under each eye--unlike the red surface caps near my nose, these are brownish and below the surface of the skin and can only be clearly seen when the skin is pulled taught. One doc recommended IPL treatments, the other KTP laser. Both said it would take multiple treatments (at least two), but both are sold on the efficacy of their respective laser. Advice? Preferences?

KTP Diode laser 532nm best for broken capillaries or telangiectasia

+1

KTP Diode 532nm laser or Pulse Dye Laser (PDL) are the standard of care for broken capillaries or telangiectasia on face. IPL or fotofacial laser can be helpful to fade pigmentation and rosy complexion.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Often the combination works best

+1

Treating redness on the face often means treating various sizes of capillaries. For general diffuse redness, the IPL is more effective and efficient. For solitary vessels such as those found around the nose or on the outer parts of the cheeks, the KTP laser or pulsed-dye lasers work better. It is best to plan on a series of 4-5 IPLs and 1-2 treatments of the KTP or PDL lasers mixed in.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Probably the KTP laser

+1

IPL is superior for the diffuse erythema of, say, rosacea. However, if you are seeking a remedy for the fine telangiectatic vessels which you seem to be describing, I prefer the KTP laser or a pulsed dye laser.

Also, you might consider electrodessication. While not as high tech and glitzy, it would also be effective and far less expensive than the above two solutions.

I am not sure what you mean by the brownish lesions below your eyes. Telangiectasias are generally not described as being brownish. Thus, I cannot provide a recommendation for this problem.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist