Skin Care Before and After IPL Treatment

Can I keep using active ingredients before and after my IPL treatments like Vitamin C serum? Thanks

Obagi NuDerm System enhances IPL results

+2

We have recently published a clinical study on the use of the Obagi NuDerm System before and after 2 IPL treatments. (Woodhall, Goldman, Gold and Biron: J Drugs and Dermatol 2009; 8:862-867). Our study found that we could increase the efficacy of the IPL by over 100% when patients used the NuDerm System 4 weeks before and during the 2 IPL treatments given 4 weeks apart. In short, using the Obagi NuDerm System gave similar results as 2 additional IPL treatments.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Usually

+1

Your skin care protocol should be reviewed by your dermatologist before the IPL in order to get the best results. I have a fondness for the Clinique Medical skin care system prior to IPL, but everyone of my patients get an individualized program to prepare the skin before the procedure, then maintain the results after the procedure.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

IPL skin care regimens

+1

Yes, you may continue.

Some surgeons also request use of retin-A in the peri-operative care and preparation for the procedure.

Avoid use of photosensitizing medications such as Bactrim.

Skin care around IPL treatments

+1

Since IPL treatments are not exfolliative, you can continue to use all of your skin care products before and after an IPL treatment.  IPL must be done in a series of treatments to be effective.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS