Timeframe Of Intraoral Chin Implant Wound Healing?

Hello experts, I had chin augmentation via intraoral approach 6 days ago. Swelling is completely gone or rather I do not notice it. The implant position itself is perfect, very well placed. In short, I sincerely love the outcome. However, I did notice that the gaps between the sutures are still not closed. It looks like they barely close. There is no bleeding though. So, how long does it usually take for the gaps to completely heal? What can be done to aid it?

Chin implant

+2

The intraoral incision should be closed within a week. If there are gaps then check with your surgeon ASAP for examination. Most of the time there are more than one layer of closure, however the wound need some care.

Intraoral Wound Healing

+2

Phillipp,  it sounds like at least one layer of sutures have partially come apart (dehisced).  This is usually not a problem provided that the closure your surgeon performed was in layers, including a "water tight" closure of periosteum around the implant.  In most cases, this wound will heal slowly over the next 2 weeks.  Your job is to make sure you are very gentle with it and do not allow any food to get trapped in that area.

Avoid eating foods you bite with your incisors for the next two weeks (no apples, sandwiches, etc), take care brushing your teeth, and rinse your mouth gently after each meal.  Contact your surgeon as well so you can be on some antibiotics until the wound heals completely.

I hope this helps!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon