Will Cyst/Pimple Near Chin Implant Cause Infection?

Dear Docs, I am having my silicon Chin implant now for two years and absolutely happy with it. I developed a hard cyste or pimple underneath the skin not far from my chin. It bothered me and I tried to pop it without success. Its slightly red now, I have no pain just worrying whether it can affect my implant i.e. result in an implant infection. Hope u can calm me down! Thank you very much

+1

Best to see your surgeon to start you on PO antibiotics or even I.V. DO NOT PICK IT!. There is a possibility that this could track to the chin implant. Seek in person treatment. 

Could this pimple/cyst infect my chin implant?

+1

It is very unlikely that a cyst or pimple, even if slightly irritated, could infect your implant especially after two years.  What happens is that you form a natural capsule around the implant and it is unlikely that a skin lesion could penetrate down and through this in order to infect the implant itself.  For now, call your surgeon and get on antibiotics, then go in to see the surgeon just to make sure.  Don't pick or try to express the cyst in the meanwhile.

If it is just a skin cyst, you may need to have it excised eventually so that it does not become inflammed again.  Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

There is always a possibility, albeit small, that the implant could become infected even at this late date.  Do not manipulate the area.  Contact your surgeon and schedule a follow up appointment so that he or she can provide the appropriate advice and treatment. 

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

See your doctor. Do not try to squeeze the cyst.you may need some antibiotics and that should protect you from infectig the chin implant.