Can't Close Lips After Chin Implant and Rhinoseptoplasty.

I had a chin implant over two weeks ago and the swelling has gone down, though I am struggling to close my lips and look like I am sucking candy when I do. Will this improve? Could it be that my rhinoplasty pulled my upper lip upwards and the chin implant pulled my lower lip downwards?

Unable to close lips after rhinoplasty and chin implant

+2

The swelling is most likely causing your problem.  This will take some time to resolve.  Discuss massage of the area with your surgeon since this may help some cases.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Your lips will close as time goes by after rhinoplasty and chin implant.

+2

Your assessment is correct, but you are only two weeks post-op, and your tissues need to heal, settle, and soften as your scars mature. This will take 6 months or longer, and your anatomy will assume new baselines and achieve new "normals" in sensation, tension, and resting appearance.

You have what appears to be an excellent result; be patient and give yourself the time you need to let things get where they are going! For examples of my patients with similar chin/nose combinations (cases 2,3, and 5), click on the link below.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can close lips 2 weeks after Rhinoplasty and chin implant, should I worry?

+1

No, IMHO, after more than 20 years of performing Rhinoplasty and chin Implants, it's quite normal to have some residual swelling and decreased movement, of the lips, for about a month or so after a Chin Implant.  I use an incision, under the chin, to place the implant which avoids disruption of the chin muscle itself caused by an incision inside the mouth.  IMHO, the intra-oral incision also allows upward movement of the Chin Implant that can fill in the mento-labial sulcus and make movement, of the lower lip more restricted.  As always, it's best to ask your surgeon these specific questions as well.