Caring for Infants After Breast Augmentation

Will I be able to look after my baby after my breast operation? I have a 6-month- old baby and I am looking to have a breast enlargement operation under the muscle. I am concerned as to whether I will be able to look after my baby, with lifting and carrying him after the operation. I will have help for one week after the procedure.

Caring for infants and babies after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

This is a valid and often asked quesiton. In most instance after four days you should be fully capable of caring for your child with the exception of lifting. Some patients tend to be emotional while under pain medication and you may want to have emotional support during this support.  Weight restrictions vary by surgeon. I advise my patients to wait about 2 weeks.

With proper planning you should do well

+1

This is a very common question because your 6 month old isn't walking yet and needs to be picked up and carried wherever you go. I ask my patients to not lift more than 10 pound for up to 6 weeks after surgery. I do realize that you have to live your life to include caring for your baby so the next important aspect of recovery is using good body mechanics. After a week or so, all things considered, you can carry your babby but hold them close to your body as compared to using just your arm and chest muscles. In the early recovery you can sit in a chair and have someone place your baby in your arms as well. Lastly, make sure you share with your plastic surgeon if you have any nipple discharge from breast feeding if you did. You want to allow adequate time for your breast milk to dry up before surgery and it is possble it could increase a bit with implant massage after surgery if your plastic surgeon instructs you to. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Make sure you are comfortable

+1

A 6-month-old can be a handful. Make sure you allow at least 2 weeks of no heavy-lifting and stenuous exercise. The less you do those first 2 weeks, the faster you will heal and be able to get back to normal living. if you have to pick up your child, use good body mechanics so that you avoid using your upper body. Try to get as much help as you can from family members and friends to help with your recovery.