How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities?

How soon after Breast Augmentation can I start working or going to the beach? I'm planning to do my surgery during summertime.

Activity following breast augmentation

+3

Each surgeon has their own post operative preference.  In general post operative restrictions are designed to prevent certain complications and each category has a different time frame:

Day 1-7

Hematoma.  Keeping a low blood pressure and heart rate may prevent blood vessels which have been sealed from opening up.

Infection.  Avoiding submerging your incisions in water early will prevent possible infection

Day 8-14

Swelling:  Excessive excercise or activity may prolong post op swelling and tenderness.

In general, normal daily activities can be resumed post op day 1.  Some level of excercise can be begin day 14 and slowly increased until back to full activity.

Dr Repta

Sun exposure and weight lifting after breast augmentation.

+2

You can start going to the beach within 3 weeks but you should avoid sun exposure with a high spf sunblock or sunscreen with a spf of 30. Acitivities are somewhat limited for 3 weeks wheeby they began to slowily provide increasing resistance over the ensuing months.

Different activities take different amounts of time to resume

+2

The first question is where the implant is placed..above or below the muscle? I like my active patients to resume some activity as soon as possible. Walking , a treadmill or a stair master are all great to begin within a few days. Classes for fitness take a little longer due to the bouncing afffect which can be uncomfortable. Typically the full recovery with no restrictions is six to eight weeks. If the implant is under the muscle then no peck or lat activity for the full six weeks. These are my personal recommendations for my patients using my surgical technique. All the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Two Weeks Before Hitting The Beach After Breast Augmentation

+1
It depends on what you are planning to do at the beach or what kind of work you do. If you are just sunbathing, then you may be able to do this after two weeks, however you should cover up your incisions well to avoid making them worse. You will also be able to go swimming, but do not strain yourself. For work, you can go back to sedentary desk work after about 5 days to a week, or longer if it is physically demanding. If you need to lift things at work, then you should wait until about 6 weeks.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  dancing on a poleā€¦) for at least 3-6 months.  Best wishes.

Working and sunning

+1
Every surgeon has slightly different preferences - check with yours when scheduling your procedure.

Many patients with desk jobs can return to work after three days. People with active jobs may take a week to feel comfortable. You should not do any lifting, pushing, or strenuous arm activity for four weeks. No swimming (hot tub, pool, ocean) or baths for two weeks while your incisions heal- protect your investment! Avoid the sun for at least a week after surgery. You should keep your incisions covered with cloth and sunscreen for the first year to get the best possible scar.

Grant Stevens, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1
Each surgeon has different viewpoints regarding return to activity after breast augmentation.For the most part, womencan return to most normal day-to-day activities such as driving within three to five days after breast augmentation.Many surgeons will caution a woman to restrict movement of the arm and shoulder area for a few weeks after the procedure.Unless a woman has a job that requires heavy lifting, most patients will return to work within one week.Normally, all restrictions can be lifted after one month.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Breast Augmentation

+1
In my practice, I require patients to avoid lifting more than 5 pounds for 2 weeks after surgery.  Generally, walking is fine within a few days of surgery and can be progressed after I see you at your first post op visit. There will be swelling after surgery which is normal.  Heat and sun at the beach can exacerbate the swelling so I would advise avoiding extreme heat and sun exposure for 4 weeks following surgery.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Resuming activities after Breast Augmentation

+1

I use a rapid recovery breast augmentation technique and my patients are resuming normal activities within days! Speak to your surgeon about his/her anticipated recovery. Not every surgeon uses rapid recovery techniques and I have heard of some patients being miserable for weeks.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Post op exercise

+1

I tell patients to avoid formal exercise for one month post-op but they can walk as much as they want as of the day or surgery. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon