How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities?

How soon after Breast Augmentation can I start working or going to the beach? I'm planning to do my surgery during summertime.

Activity following breast augmentation

+6

Each surgeon has their own post operative preference.  In general post operative restrictions are designed to prevent certain complications and each category has a different time frame:

Day 1-7

Hematoma.  Keeping a low blood pressure and heart rate may prevent blood vessels which have been sealed from opening up.

Infection.  Avoiding submerging your incisions in water early will prevent possible infection

Day 8-14

Swelling:  Excessive excercise or activity may prolong post op swelling and tenderness.

In general, normal daily activities can be resumed post op day 1.  Some level of excercise can be begin day 14 and slowly increased until back to full activity.

Dr Repta

Working and sunning

+2
Every surgeon has slightly different preferences - check with yours when scheduling your procedure.

Many patients with desk jobs can return to work after three days. People with active jobs may take a week to feel comfortable. You should not do any lifting, pushing, or strenuous arm activity for four weeks. No swimming (hot tub, pool, ocean) or baths for two weeks while your incisions heal- protect your investment! Avoid the sun for at least a week after surgery. You should keep your incisions covered with cloth and sunscreen for the first year to get the best possible scar.

Grant Stevens, MD

Different activities take different amounts of time to resume

+2

The first question is where the implant is placed..above or below the muscle? I like my active patients to resume some activity as soon as possible. Walking , a treadmill or a stair master are all great to begin within a few days. Classes for fitness take a little longer due to the bouncing afffect which can be uncomfortable. Typically the full recovery with no restrictions is six to eight weeks. If the implant is under the muscle then no peck or lat activity for the full six weeks. These are my personal recommendations for my patients using my surgical technique. All the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Resume activities after breast augmentation

+1
I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Breast Augmentation and Getting Back to Work or to the Beach

+1
After a breast augmentation you should not have much trouble getting back to work and doing things like going to the beach within a few days of your surgery. The rapid recovery protocol works very well to help with this. You will not be healed, meaning that you may still be a little sore but you can easily get back to work in 4 or 5 days and get out to the beach within a couple of days after your breast augmentation.

I have added a video and link to a page on recovery for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Take care of your results

+1
Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio type exercises. At 2 months they can lift weights.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Activity after breast augmentation

+1
My patients are instructed to wait two weeks after breast augmentation before starting exercise. They need to start slowly and use a supportive bra.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How soon after breast augmentation can I resume activities?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria.  Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 6 weeks.  Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Two Weeks Before Hitting The Beach After Breast Augmentation

+1
It depends on what you are planning to do at the beach or what kind of work you do. If you are just sunbathing, then you may be able to do this after two weeks, however you should cover up your incisions well to avoid making them worse. You will also be able to go swimming, but do not strain yourself. For work, you can go back to sedentary desk work after about 5 days to a week, or longer if it is physically demanding. If you need to lift things at work, then you should wait until about 6 weeks.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  dancing on a poleā€¦) for at least 3-6 months.  Best wishes.