Wait Until After Children for Breast Augmentation?

I am 24 years old and have been contemplating getting a breast augmentation for many years, the only thing holding me back is that i don't have any children yet. Is it recomended to wait until after children? and if not will I still be able to breast feed if I have breast implants?

Breast Implants before children

+5
I perform breast implants on many women before they have children. Women can be very pleased with their breast following pregnancies and breast feeding and not feel the need for further surgery. it is safe to have breast implants before becoming pregnangt and safe to breast feed with breast implants
However, there is a possibility that breasts may lose some tome or change shape to some degree after pregnancy. The decision is up to the woman to decide what makes sense for he. I do encourage women who are hoping to become pregnant right away to wait on a breast augmentation surgery until after children

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation: before or after children

+4

One of the questions I get asked a lot about breast augmentation is whether or not to have it before having children.  This is a bit of a difficult question to answer, because there is no totally right answer.  But to cut to the chase, I would say that if you are going to have children in the next year or so, I would probably wait; but then again, you don't have to if you don't want to.

The real issue is: how will one or more pregnancies, and/or breast feeding change your breast?  And when we are talking about changes, this biggest issue is sagging.  The problem here is that this is very difficult to predict.  Some women have tremendous changes in breast shape and size, and some have almost none.  It seems to me, that the smaller women are in terms of their breast size, the lesser the changes may be after pregnancy (but, again, this is not always the case).  Certainly if there is a women has a little bit of a larger breast and already has some relaxation, there is a greater chance that she will have significant changes after children.   So trying to figure out how pregnancies will change the breasts is really the crux of the matter.

Sometimes you can get some insight into how and if you will change.  if you have the same build as your mother, you may experience the same type of changes she did after pregnancies.  Or, if you have had significant changes in your weight, and there was not much change in your breast size and shape, pregnancy may not affect your breasts too much.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that many women without implants will have changes in their breasts after children.  Many of these will elect to have a breast lift, or a breast lift with implants.  If you already have implants in place,and  then have changes in your breasts in terms of sagging, you may wish to have a lift and not need to have anything done about the implants.  In which case you are in the same position as women who have naturally larger breasts without implants.

One thing is clear: breast implants present no danger or risk to you or your unborn child or children. This does not need to be a concern.  Also, there is no problem with feeding if you have implants.

So, whether to have your breast implants now, or after children is a very personal decision.  If you are not ready or not sure,  you should not be pressured.  Probably the best way to sort this all out, is to have a consultation with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss you options and come up with the right option for you.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Should You Wait Until After Having Children to Have a Breast Augmentation

+2
This is a very common question but an important one for most women. The majority of woman who seek a breast augmentation have not had a child. Pregnancy is not affected by breast implants and conversely breast implants do not affect the pregnancy. You can end up with unsatisfactory looking breasts after a pregnancy but that is not common. Usually everyone is happy with their augmented breasts after a pregnancy. I advise women to not gain too much weight to avoid stretching out the skin over the implants and rarely do these women have any problems.

So the short answer is that there is no reason to wait.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Wait until After children for breast augmentation

+2
Good question.  There is no real good answer.  I tell patients its very personal and only they can make the decision.  If you are involved with someone and are planning on having kids soon then wait for sure.  If you are single and no kids in sight then its your call.  As for breast feeding, if you chose the crease approach it will not be affected.

Good luck

Rady Rahban, MD

Breast Augmentation before children

+2

My honest opinion is if your know you do want children then yes I highly suggest you do wait until after. Reason is, when you are pregnant & after your pregnancy your breast will grow with breast milk. If you already have your breast done, then your breast will grown even bigger but always remember that after breast feeding, then they will shrink back down and 99% of the time they will not look as perky as they were before. So in a lot of cases women come back to redo their breast & sometimes have to get a lift done or larger implants to fill in the extra skin. If you wait until after you have children, then all that needs to be done is filling back up the skin stretched out by breast feeding which will leave you a better, perky and permanent look.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast Feeding and Breast Implants

+2

This is a good and common question.  The quick answer is that many women undergo augmentation and go on to breast feed without issue.  Any time breast tissue is manipulated, there is the possibility that it will change the functional capabilities of the breast. To my knowledge, however, there is no good evidence to suggest your ability to breast feed is likely to be impacted with implants.  The question is really when you are ready, and if that is now, before children, you should be able to go ahead with confidence.  Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you trust and have this discussion with him/her.  The two of you together should be able to figure out if you are ready. 

Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation before children

+2

There is no right or wrong whether to have a breast augmentation before you have children.  There are, however, a few things to keep in mind.  The first relates to breast feeding.  There is a small but still real possibility of having difficulty with breast feeding. This relates to issues with the nerves in the breast which can be affected by breast augmentation surgery.  This is something that should be brought up by your surgeon when you visit.   Another thing to keep in mind are the changes to the breast that can occur with breast feeding and pregnancy.  The skin stretches and the breast become engorged, sometimes leaving long lasting changes to the skin--stretching it out and stretching the areola out.  This may change the way the breasts look and ultimately may require another surgery to bring back a more "youthful" appearance.  If you are contemplating having children in the near future, holding off may be beneficial.  If you feel that the importance of having the surgery now outweighs these other considerations, then now may be the best time for you!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants don't affect nursing

+2

I agree with the former posts. If you are thinking about having children soon, then it is best to wait. You are young and so your breasts should bounce back fairly well for the next 5-10 years. If you are thinking it may be a few years then I think you can do it now. Implants should not impact your ability to breast feed in the future and you can start enjoying them now. Long term, many people like myself think that the implants help preserve the breast shape and result in less breast "droop" over time. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast augmentation and pregnancy plans

+2

My advice is that if you have plans to have children within the next year, wait until at least six months after you stop breast feeding to have a breast augmentation. If you are more likely to have your children at least a year in the future, then proceeding with the surgery seems reasonable to me and would be safe. The risk of having problems with breast feeding when average sized implants are placed in the subpectoral space is very minimal. There is a risk of seeing some change to the breast shape and volume after pregnancy. But I have had several patients who have had children after their augmentation sugery without seeing any significant problems.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation before having children

+2

Hi camgirl

This is a very important and common question you are asking. Studies have shown that most women can successfully nurse or breast feed their children following breast augmentatio. Regarding the timing of the operation, my recommendations are to delay the procedure for those who are planning on having children in the near future. If it would be many years before someone were planning to have children then it would be very reasonable to have the procedure prior to that time. For those patients who are in between, it becomes very personal. The choice depends on how much benefit the changes of breast implants will provide  for self image and lifestyle versus the possibility of needing additional surgery following pregnancy.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Wayne Yamahata, M.D.,F.A.C.S.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon