Is It Normal to Have a Bulge on Outer Thighs 3 Months After Lipo?

I had 4 areas done with the tickle lipo, only 1.5 liters total. My outer thighs have a weird bulge now.It's been 3 months. The bulge was not there before. My stomach & hips are smooth & look fine, but my thighs don't.Is it possible this can resolve over the next 3 months?

A little touch up lipo fixes persisting bulges after 3 months.

+2

After 3 months there may remain a few tiny bumps that go away with waiting 2 more months but from the photos the bumps seem too large and should be liposuctioned again in a small touch up procedure.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

PHOTO: Thigh lump after liposuction

+1

From the photograph, I am concerned about the somewhat bluish discoloration. This makes me suspicious for a seroma or hematoma that may benefit from aspiration for either therapeutic or diagnostic purposes.

Bulge on outer thigh after liposuction

+1

Much swelling normally decreases by three months, but there may be a resolving hematoma which is a collection of blood underneath the skin, or a seroma, or unusual firmness which might be excessive collagen in one area. This can be determined usually by an examination and if residual fat is felt to be the issue, then focal liposuction can be done in this area whether now or in three months to allow for the greatest retraction. You should see what your surgeon says.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Bulge on Outer Thighs 3 Months After Lipo

+1

NO! You need a minor revision lipo now! If the 22% revision rate is correct than I must be very lucky or very good. I have polled 10 plastic boarded colleagues about their revision lipo rates-  ALL state under 10%. So it happens just get it repaired. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Liposuction results may require revision in one of five cases

+1

The reported cosmetic experience has noted that up to 22% of cases will require revision or touch up after a liposuction procedure.  This is something that patients should be aware of when considering a procedure.  Most times is a minor procedure and performed once the inflammatory phase has settled 3 to 6 months or more after the initial procedure. Your photo suggests this can be the case and commonly, revisions may be offered at no cost, or at nominal cost.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Bulge

+1

It has been 3 months which is a reasonable amount of time to allow things to settle.  Once the hip area is soft then the problem most be identified.  Is this excess fat (under suctioned area) or minimal fat around the area (over suctioned periphery).  If this is an under suctioned area then the answer is additional liposuction.  If this is an over suctioned periphery then fat grafting would be the answer.  Sometimes it may be reasonable to split the difference a bit of liposuction and fat grafting.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Post Lipo Lumps and Bumps- What went wrong?

+1

At three months after liposuction, much of the swelling from surgery is gone, but there will be some tissue changes that can take up to a year to go away.  The causes of irregularities after liposuction can be complicated to explain.

Lumps can be considered to be areas that have persistent tissue swelling, or areas that were simply missed during the surgery,  or very rarely,  a deep pool of swelling fluid or even a blood clot that has walled itself off.  Sometimes, what appears to be a lump is actually a fold in the tissues that results from loss of internal support, where the tissues unfurl downwards when standing upright (less likely in your case).   In your situation, is it not possible to know what the lump is without examining you, but thank you for including your photo.

It is always best to return to your operating surgeon with your concerns, so that you can get an opinion from the person who actually did the surgery.  A small area of fatty tissue that was left behind can usually be touched up under local anaesthesia.  Other causes of lumps after liposuction might require a more extensive procedure.  

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Liposuction and a bulge

+1

A bulge in the thigh after liposuction may be an untreated area, or swelling or fluid.  If it is just a few months, I would wait a bit longer to see how it does. Of course An exam by your doctor would be a good idea.

Three months after liposuction you are very close to final result.

+1

Hi.

Unfortunately, it is not likely that these bulges will go away on their own.  I would recommend waiting another three months and then considering a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)