Will liposuction make my Buffalo Hump go away?

I am 29 years old and have had a buffalo hump since college. My Mom has one as well, but mine is much more pronounced. I'm overweight, but not obese. My posture is suffering. It looks like I'm constantly slouching. When I stand up really straight though, the hump looks better. I heard about liposuction for this. What is the best technique-ultrasound, tumescent procedure? Does smart lipo work for this area? I would really like to have the procedure done under local anesthesia and not general.

Buffalo hump

+2

A buffalo hump is often a different type of fat than in other areas. Some are amenable to liposcution and some are not.

Liposuction for a Buffalo hump

+2

This is one area that responds well to liposuction no matter what technique your surgeon uses (traditional tumescent, VASER ultrasound, power assist, laser lipo). Remember, no matter what technique your surgeon promotes, they all use the tumescent technique for numbing and vasoconstriction.  It is not the tool, but the surgeon who makes the difference!

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Overcoming the Buffalo Hump

+1

Buffalo hump is most commonly seen as a side effect of steroid use. I have not heard it blamed for postural problems although it can create that appearance. I have successfully treated this under local with a multiple small cannula technique but I don't see why any other technique could be utilized. I would avoid ultrasound near the lower cervical or upper thoracic vertebrae.

Liposuction can be used to reduce a buffalo hump.

+1

Liposuction can be used to reduce a buffalo hump. I have doen this on several patients. This often comes up when the buffalo hump is due to medications given to treat HIV.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction for buffalo humps is awesome

+1

Minimal scars, minimal down time and definitely doable under local.  Good technique matters the most, but I personally prefer vaser/ultrasound as sometimes the humps can be very fibrous.  All liposuction is done with tumescent fluid, and smartlipo by itself is really only good for small areas, you still have to suction after the laser has been used to heat the tissues.  Good luck, all my patients have loved their results.

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Lipo buffalo hump

+1

This is  a great way to decrease the size of a hump.The area across the back is not very forgiving for scars so to do tumescent lipo is an excellent choice.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction works very well for buffalo humps on the back of the neck and upper back

+1

There is no great alternative to doing liposuction on the upper back and posterior neck for a buffalo hump. Liposuction commonly works very well in this location and provides less down-time than conventional surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tumescent Liposuction for the buffalo hump works great.

+1

I have had the opportunity to perform Tumescent Liposuction on the center upper back in several patients and they have all turned out great.  The healing time was quick with these patients only taking 2 days off of work and the scaring unnoticeable after a couple of months.  Totally done underlocal anethetic and Tylenol as needed for the minimal pain afterward. Good Luck!

Julie E. Voss, MD
Kirkland Dermatologic Surgeon