How Long Until Restylane Bumps on Lip Smooth Out?

Had my upper lip boosted with restylane 3 days ago. I'm happy with the shape and size. However, I can still feel significant bumps on my inner upper lip where the doc injected. I was told they would smooth within 3 to 4 days....they are not smoothing out as of yet. Anyone have exp with this? I'm hoping they go away soon! Also, is fat transfer to the lip a good way to go?? I'm testing resty to see if i might do something more permanent. Thanks!!

Bumps in Lips After Augmentation with Restylane

+1

Restylane is the one hyaluronic acid filler that is indicated for lip augmentation and it is a great product. Anytime you inject a product into the lips you run the risk of developing small lumps, and most of the time it is just local swelling. This is a common occurence and the lumps do usually smoothen out within a week or so. In some occassions they can remain and I often tell my patients to gently massage the area. If it is not noticeable, I would not worry about it. If you are concerned, I would recommend to follow up with your physician. The good news about these fillers is that they can be dissolved if there is a complication, and this is something to consider when thinking about permanent solutions.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Bumps

+1

Restylane has received FDA approval for lip enhancement, and is an excellent product in an experienced and expert injectors hands.  Bumps may last about a week to 10 days.  Light massage of the bumps may help. If after a week, the bumps have not gone down, then contact the physician for a recheck. 

Restylane Lip Enhancement

+1

Restylane (hyaluronic acid) is a good option for nonsurgical lip enhancement. Fat injection to the lips is another filler for adding lip volume.

Small bumps or lumps in the lips after cosmetic injection augmentation typically resolve in a few days, but possibly couple weeks. The lip bumps may be the product material, bruising / swelling, or combination. Your plastic surgeon or dermatologist may massage the lips to help smooth the area. Alternatively, hyaluronidase may be injected into the bump to help dissolve the material.

Speak with your cosmetic specialist to help determine the appropriate treatment plan. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/med-spa/lip-enhancement.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is to be expected and temporary

+1

Both Restylane and Juvederm are fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid fillers, known as humectant, meaning that tendency to draw water/hydration to the area of injection. In another words, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm work, at least partially by plumping the skin via hydration. Therefore swelling after lip augmentation is to be expected but should subside in a week or two. For first timers, less is better. Natural lip augmentation can be achieved simply by accentuating the vermilion border.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Cosmetic_Dermatology.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Is Vascular

+1

The lip has a very generous blood supply. This nourishment is what gives the lips its red-violet hue. Realize a needle has been stuck into this web of blood vessels, and it is not too hard to imagine that small hematomas ( clots and bruises) may ensue. They will not last.

Since three or four days have passed, it is too late for ice or cold compresses, but you might remember this for the next time. The usual advice to avoid Aspirin, advil, Vitamin E or gincko a week prior to injections, holds also. Ice, just before the injections may be of benefit since it causes vasoconstriction (the blood vessels narrow).

While most of these bruises will resolve in a few days, some can last up to two weeks. If they last longer than that, you should return to the physician who performed the injections.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Restylane "bumps" after injection in the lips

+1

You may feel the "bumps" from Restylane injections in the lips for a considerable time. However, any external visible bumpiness goes away rather quickly as the body re-balances the water content between your tissues and the hyaluronic gel.

But why do you feel bumps on the inner lip? The lip tissue is very much like sponge, with different sized "cells" so the way your lip accepts the Restylane will determine how much - or how little - you feel in the inner lip.

The lining inside the lip is very thin, and there's a good chance you would have felt natural bumps had you taken the time to explore with your tongue before your injections. Certainly after the injection, the increased volume in the various cell compartments will be something you will feel as the tongue is acutely sensitive to changes inside the mouth.

Restylane and Juvederm both "pull" water from the skin and this is how the plumping effect is maintained. Good injection technique will prevent any long term "bumps" that are visible externally.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Recovery after lip augmentation

+1

Great question and be patient. The bumps and firmness you may be feeling are likely from the injection and not the actual product. They are probably mucosal hematomas or bruising in the lip. It may take almost 2 weeks for them to go away, and if not resolved at that time it may represent some product which is temporary and will go away over time. Sometimes massage can help as well if really bothersome after a month you could try to have it dissolved with a hyaluronidase injection.

Fat injections to the lips are great, though it too can be temporary and uneven. The hyaluronic acid gels are a great introduction to lip augmentation, however there is no great permanent option that is not frought with problems. You may want to stick with gels for now and see what you like and what you dont and then make the decision on fat grafting.

Lip swelling usually starts going down 2 weeks after Restylane

+1

The swelling in the lips usually takes a while to go down. 3-4 days is on the early side. I usually wait for the first 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. During these first 2 weeks is when massage can really help dissipate the swelling. Enzyme injections are also another way of removing restylane, juvederm, perlane but they are more of a permanent removal of the restylane. If enzymes are injected during the first 2 weeks, this may be a mistake. The swelling that would normally go down the first 2 weeks will further go down more if enzymes are injected the first 2 weeks. Sometimes waiting at least 3 weeks is even better. One thing to remember is that restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers can be shaped though and you shouldn't have to go through 6-9 months of a less than desirable result. Enzymes can help shape your results after 2-3 weeks.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation and Restylane, what to expect, what else works

+1

Often after lip augmentation, one will feel some bumpiness, lumping or fullness. This can be the filler itself or bruising (bleeding) and swelling from the injections. Bumps or lumps from Restylane usually resolve in a few weeks, and bruising and swelling usually resolve within a week. If the bumps and lumps havent resolved after several weeks, I would recommend contacting your doctor. A fantastic option for lip augmentation is liquid injectable silicone. It is very precise and easy to inject in very small amounts, allowing the most natural-looking augmentation.

Restylane lip injection

+1

It takes about 2 weeks before you can see the final effect of restylane injection. It injected a bit superficial you may be able to see the beading of the restylane, but this will go away with time.

Fat transfers are a great option and usually I explain to my patients that it requires about 2-3 injections to get the lip to the size that will ultimately stay. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for your fat injection questions.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-restylane-newport-beach.php