Lip Augmentation That Passes the Kiss Test?

While long-lasting would be nice-- as would be low cost-- the most important factor for me is natural looking and feeling lips. My friend calls this the Kiss Test. Passing the kiss test means that your kissing partner doesn't notice an unnatural lip texture. Which lip enhancement treatments are most natural feeling and pass the kiss test?

Best Lip Augmentation Material

+4

The best option that "passes the kiss test" is Hyaluronic acid fillers. They feel natural and are soft. They give you the best result, are absorbable, revisable and reversible if needed.  The two main group are Restylane and Juvederm.

Juvederm for lip augmentation

+2

When injected artistically, Juvederm can give a lovely enhancement to lips.  It feels very soft and natural and can last 6 to 12 months.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Hyaluronic Acids currently best in the U.S. for natural looking, kissable lips

+2

Natural looking lips are what everone's goal should be during lip augmentation. Unfortunately, the lips are one of the most over-treated areas, and lip augmentation is certainly a procedure that separates the expert injectors from the cosmetic novices and non-specialists.

While it's important to choose an expert, the product really matters here too!
Kissable Scale: 0 (cold fish) to 10 (silver-screen worthy)
10 out of 10 Hyaluronic Acids - the softest and most natural feeling fillers in the lips (except for fat and silicone... see below notes). The lips should be augmented in a natural pattern, NOT lined to look like a duck, which many patients unknowingly ask for and many practitioners unfortunately oblige. Stick with HAs for a winning filler in the lips...at least until Evolence Breeze is approved in the U.S.
8 out of 10 Collagens - the classic lip filler, but hard to find. Cosmoderm is not being made anymore, and only last 3 months. Evolence is a new collagen that can last a year, but is a bit too thick for the lips. Keep an eye out for Evolence Breeze, a soon to be coming to the U.S. product that will be "thinner" and more appropriate for the lips.
2 out of 10 Radiesse - not for the lips. Radiesse is a great filler for elsewhere, but not for the lips (very low on the kissable scale).
0 out of 10 Sculptra, ArteColl, or other permanent fillers (see fat and silicone exceptions below). Not for the lips.
Fat - great lip filler in experienced hands, but must be harvested from your body
Silicone - be very, very careful in the lips. You probably shouldn't do this until you've had years of experience with other fillers in the lip, and even then probably shouldn't. Purified silicone should only be used by the most expert of injectors and in the most confident patients. It's permanent, which can be a bad thing.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Natural Feeling Lip Augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid based fillers should have your lips passing the "kiss test" easily!  We like Juvederm best--it flows in smoothly and gives the lips a soft, natural look and feel.  Other plastic surgeons and injectors use Restylane, another filler based on the same substance.  We don't use Radiesse, a filler based on calcium hydroxylapatite (tiny calcium particles suspended in a gel), as it sometimes clumps.

The other advantage of the hyaluronic acid based fillers is that the effects can be reversed with another injection if you decide you don't like the results.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D. New York Plastic Surgeon

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Kissable Lips

+1

When injected in moderation, Hylauronic acids like Restylane and Juvederm Ultra work really well in creating volumized, smooth, natural looking lips that are in proportion.  I always say that “if it doesn’t look natural, it doesn’t look good.”  My goal is always to create a natural, youthful and enhanced look.  Before scheduling any appointment, research the skills, experience and training of the facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist to ensure that your lips pass the kiss test.  Good Luck!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Passing the kiss test after lip augmentation

+1

In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent. The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time. We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.  The lips can look natural and still have the volume that you want.  The hyaluronic acid usually is soft, smooth, and kissable.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Passing the Kiss Test

+1

I love the term! In my opinion, the kiss test is most easily passed with the hyaluronic acid based fillers. In particular, I use Restylane or Juvederm. Belotero is a newer filler which is very similar and can also be used in the lips. This is a great treatment, and the only downside is that it has to be repeated every 9-12 months.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kiss Test

+1

Hyaluronic acid dermal filler treatments such as juvederm and restylane can pass the kiss test.  It is important to choose the right injector for the natural look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Soft lip filler

+1
A hyaluronic acid will be the softest filler for your lips. Some last longer than others and some swell more than others. Check with your dermatologist which will be the best for your lips.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

PermaLip implants an excellent permanent option

+1
Hi there, for the longest lasting and most affordable option for lip augmentation, I would encourage you to consider a PermaLip lip implant. My patients that have had this procedure are thrilled by the fact they no longer need costly and frequent lip injections and their lips always look and feel consistent.The implant itself is very soft and flexible and when it is properly placed it is completely undetectable - meaning it passes the "kiss test". My patients say that they quickly forget they even have the implant! The nice thing is that it is available in several sizes and although it is designed to be a permanent solution, it can be easily removed or repositioned at any time.
To insert it, the surgeon makes two tiny slits at each end of the lip, and slides the implant in. 
We've been offering it for the past year, and have had nothing but success with it, it's truly an alternative to the pain and costs of repeated injections."
In Arizona, the procedure costs around $3500 for both lips but that is a reasonable alternative to spending $600-$800 every four or six months to re-inject lips.
I have a great video on YouTube that explains the procedure in detail and demonstrates a patient who has the implants. I have included the link below.

Daniel Shapiro, MD