Hotel Stay Alone for One Night After Rhinoplasty Ok?

I'm planning on having Rhinoplasty done in a neighboring state and I was wondering if it's ok to stay in a hotel room alone to rest after surgery until the following day when I'm picked up to be driven home ?

Do Not be Alone After Rhinoplasty under Aneshtesia!

+4

I always require my patient to have someone with them for a period of time. If not possible, I arrange for a nurse to stay with them or have them stay at one of the after care facility. Hope this is helpful.

Staying alone after rhinoplasty

+2

Do not stay alone the night of any surgery when anesthesia is administered.  You should always have someone in attendance after such a procedure.  The danger is that you will have a rare, but dangerous, event such as a sudden drop in blood pressure and not be able to summon help.  If you are alone in another city qualified attendants can be retained for this type of service.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Hotel Alone = Home Alone

+2

I would never recommend a post-operation patient to stay alone for the first 36 hrs. I actually enforce all my patients to stay with someone during the initial 36 hours after surgery. I think it is a big mistake if you are planning to stay by yourself in a hotel room after surgery.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op surgery instructions

+2

Whether my patients go home or to a hotel after surgery, they must be accompanied by someone preferably a nurse, or family member that will stay with them at least overnight.  This is important to make sure that the patient is ok.  

Out of Town Rhinoplasty...What is optimal time before leaving town?

+2
Hi Average Guy, The "average" patient has an unremarkable post-op course following rhinoplasty. However, it is mandatory to have someone with you for at least 24 hours after rhinoplasty. Your surgeon will likely want to see you before you return home, usually 2 days after. Discuss with your surgeon. Good luck and be well. Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Alone time after rhinoplasty

+2

A rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that generally requires the use of anesthesia. For that reason alone, it is best to have a responsible adult for at least 24 hours in case you need assistance as all people respond differently to anesthetics. The procedure itself may not require assistance depending upon the degree and type of rhinoplasty you are having but there are some risks associated with the procedure itself in which you may also need assistance. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+2

I am sure your surgeon will tell you that you have to have someone stay with you overnight after surgery to make sure all is well-- it is simply not safe to be home alone overnight after an anesthetic.  For our out of town patients, we have a nursing service we work with so you can hire a nurse to stay with you overnight if you don't know anyone locally, and I am sure your surgeon will have a similar service that you can use.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Someone must stay with you after rhinoplasty!

+2

You absolutely need someone to be with you after rhinoplasty. You can fall and injure the work you just had.

We all need someone, to lean on.....

+2

Just like everyone else has said, you need a responsible adult to stay with you for a minimum of 24 hr after surgery:)

Good luck!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Have someone with you after surgery

+2

If you can bring a loved one great, if not, many medical offices such as mine provide nurse's aides to stay overnight with you.  An extra helping hand and a little pampering really make a nice difference when you are recovering.  And you deserve a little help!  Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon