Visible Graft After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty abt 2 mnths ago &although there is still some swelling, there is a small bump sticking out on middle part of my nose where a cartilage graft was placed. To the touch it feels like edge of cartilage. Can I expect the bump to go down as healing continues(maybe that part is still be extra swollen?) or will a graft that has moved not change much anymore? How soon would you do a revision if graft has moved and leaves a visible bump? I won't see my suregon until 3 months post op.

Cartilage graft visible and palpable after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Annon, From your description, this appears to be a part of the graft that was used. You should not hurry back to the OR. It may reabsorb and soften significantly. Please bring it up to the attention of your surgeon and it can be corrected very easily if it is required.

Please see the article below that discusses these grafts in detail.

Sajjadian, Ali M.D., et al. Current Status of Grafts and Implants in Rhinoplasty: Part II. Homologous Grafts and Allogenic Implants Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery:
March 2010 - Volume 125 - Issue 3 - pp 99e-109e doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181cb662f
CME

Good Luck

Visible Graft After Rhinoplasty

+1

It's best to wait at least a year after rhinoplasty for swelling to fully subside; if still an issue you can discuss corrective options with your surgeon.  Grafts can resorb over time so hopefully you won't need another procedure. 

Feeling a cartilage graft

+1

If a cartilage graft has been placed over the top of the nose it is not uncommon to feel it and it may move slightly.  If you can see it then a revision is most likelyt required.  If you can only feel it then I would recommend leaving it alone and , if you are otherwise happy, be happy with your aesthetic result.

Tal Raine MD

Palpable Graft after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will change over the next 6 months as swelling decreases, but the "bump" may still be present. Discuss the possible need for a revision when you see your surgeon in 3 months.

Visible graft after rhinoplasty

+1

It is still soon after your procedure. It is important to discuss any concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Swelling will last for 18-24 months following rhinoplasty. If it is a major concern, it would be best to seek your surgeon's advice sooner. I hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Palpable Cartilage Graft in Rhinoplasty

+1

Often small pieces of cartilage are used in rhinoplasty for grafting. The cartilage is normally taken from the septum or ear, occasionally the rib. The cartilage is shaped and/or softened to help increase tip definition, narrow tip, fill concavities, support the tip, or other areas of the nose. When cartilage grafts are not available, then cosmetic surgeons may use nasal silicone implants.

Grafts may become palpable over time, once swelling subsides. The cartilage grafts itself may soften & contour itself gradually over time. However, 2 months is still very early to make a judgment on the rhinoplasty results. Typically, most plastic surgeons will meet their rhinoplasty patients frequently over time to help the healing process. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon soon rather than later if you have any concerns.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Palpable grafts after rhinoplasty

+1

A palpable graft at two months after rhinoplasty surgery may only get worse with time as the swelling dissipates. You should follow it carefully and then treat accordingly.

Visible cartilage grafts after rhinoplasty can need revision

+1

There are two types of cartilage grafts used in rhinoplasty, visible grafts which give the nose shape, and invisible grafts which provide support to the nose. Of course, invisible grafts are never meant to show. Visible grafts used to define the tip, or to raise and shape the dorsum are of course meant to show. It is often possible to feel grafts in the tip and bridge of the nose, however the appearance should be smooth. Quite contrary to what has been said, we expect visible tip and bridge grafts to become more visible as the swelling is resolved and the skin become soft and supple, and the true nasal shape comes through. Cartilage grafts can shift and twist and revision is the answer to sorting out imperfections when they occur. If a bump is indeed sticking out and you can feel it through the skin, my bet is it will not go away, though miracles happen. We like to delay any revision for six months as by then we can clearly see any imperfection, and accurately correct it. Stay in touch with your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Visible graft after rhinoplasty

+1

Dr Mayer hit it on the head. WAIT! at least 6 months but go discuss with your chosen surgeon NOW! This allows you and the surgeon to keep open the lines of communication. From MIAMI Dr. B

Visible graft after rhinoplasty.

+1

It is too soon to make any judgement about the nose. You should wait at least 6 -12 months. Discuss this with your surgeon at your next visit.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.