Depression After Rhinoplasty Surgery?

It took surgery for me to realize that my pre-surgery nose was unique and beautiful, and i realize now that body dysmorphic disorder probably lead me to get the nose surgery. Now that its done i realize that i loved my old nose, and am now extremely depressed that theres nothing i can do to bring it back. i currently hate my new, unnatural asymmetrical feeling/looking nose. How can i feel better about my decision, because i'm tired of the feelings of self loathing?

Depression after Rhinoplasty

+2

First of all get a psychological evaluation. You have made the diagnosis of body dysmorphic disorder, which may not be accurate. Post-operative depression can occur - books have been written about this problem.  If you're not satisfied with your result, also  see a revsion rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your dissatisfaction and review alternatives.

Depression after rhinoplasty

+2

Depression can happen . However, I would highly recommend that you would see a psychologist, Psychiatrist. It is very important you do that, because you said " I had a dysmorphic disorder syndrome".

Good Luck

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Don't focus on your nose!

+1

It's natural to have misgivings after cosmetic surgery "what have I done"...particularly with something as obvious and central as a nasal procedure.  Give yourself time to heal and you may get used to and even like your new appearance.  In the meantime, speaking with someone without any bias can be helpful to get you through this transformation. 

Eric Sadeh, MD

Depression after rhinoplasty.

+1

It sounds like your concern should be evaluated by a psychologist to determine if there is an underlying problem. You may wish to see an experienced revision rhinoplasty expert to tell you if your goals of correcting any problems are realistic or not.