Hematoma in Breast - Will It Clear Up on Its Own?

doctor has told me that it should clear up on its own should i be worried its making my sternum hurt?

Hematomas often resolve but sometimes need surgery.

The majority of small hematomas will resolve overtime on their own. They start as a firm area and soften over a few weeks. Ultimately, they are absorbed by the body and leave no discernible deficit. For large hematomas, particularly around implants, an operation is usually necessary to remove them. This is because very large hematomas may never go away completely and can lead to issues such as infection, capsular contracture, or firmness in the breast.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
It is important to keep an open line of communication with your board-certified surgeon. If you are experiencing a lot of discomfort or your condition worsens, please inform them immediately. Best of luck to you! 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hematomas

Postoperative bleeding and resultant hematoma formation can occur with any cosmetic breast procedure. When this situation arises, the management of hematomas is dependent upon a multitude of variables. The type of breast procedure, the location of the hematoma, the size of the hematoma, and the presence of an implant are all extremely important factors.

The significance of hematomas in patients who have undergone breast lift or breast reduction surgery is often dependent upon the size of the hematoma. When hematomas are small it’s not unusual for them to resolve on their own without treatment. Under these circumstances the vast majority of patients heal without residual deformities.

Large hematomas may require surgical drainage. When untreated, these hematomas may become encapsulated and form a firm mass. In some cases, untreated hematomas can result in excess scarring and distortion of the breasts. For this reason large hematomas should be surgically drained whenever possible,

When hematomas develop following breast augmentation surgery, significant secondary complications can occur. Under these circumstances undrained hematomas can result in pain, breast distortion, capsular contractures, implant displacement, and infection. For this reason, hematomas following breast augmentation should be drained as soon as possible.

If you’ve developed a hematoma following cosmetic breast surgery it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your problem.

Hematoma

Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Hematoma after Augmentation

Anytime there is a change in the breast size, I ask my patient to immediately notify me, such that I can perform an in office examination.   

I would recommend immediate contact with your plastic surgeon as I am concerned by your pain, which is characteristic of a hematoma.   This may require operative intervention to control bleeding, prevent infection, and minimize risk of capsular contracture.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Hematome of the breast

Whether it will clear with no after effects depends on the size.If the breast is hard and rigid it is better to remove it.If it is small and localized you should do fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma After Breast Surgery

A hematoma, if it is not large enough to cause vascular compromise to your skin and or cause numbness or tingling in your arms, will eventually resolve.

You may, however, be at higher risk for capsular contracture.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast hematoma

A breast hematoma if large will not go away on its own and should be evacuated.  You may be more prone to a capsular contracture as well.

Breast Hematoma

The first issue is what kind of breast surgery have you had?  If an implant is involved, the present of a hematoma will in all likelihood contribute to the possibility of a capsular contracture.  That said, it would be easiest to treat that now and try to avoid dealing with a capsular contracture in the future.  If there is no implant as in a breast reduction or lift, the issue would then be the size of the hematoma.  If small it may resolve on its own or we may wait until it liquifies and then aspirate it with a needle.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

If you have implants, the hematoma needs to be evacuated - yesterday.  If it is left to resorb on it's own, you will get a capsular contracture.  If you had a reduction or a lift and there is no implant and if the hematoma is not enlarging and is not tight,  it is reasonable to wait for it to absorb on it's own.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD