Hematoma in Breast - Will It Clear Up on Its Own?

doctor has told me that it should clear up on its own should i be worried its making my sternum hurt?

Hematomas often resolve but sometimes need surgery.

+2

The majority of small hematomas will resolve overtime on their own. They start as a firm area and soften over a few weeks. Ultimately, they are absorbed by the body and leave no discernible deficit. For large hematomas, particularly around implants, an operation is usually necessary to remove them. This is because very large hematomas may never go away completely and can lead to issues such as infection, capsular contracture, or firmness in the breast.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

+1
Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Hematoma after Augmentation

+1

Anytime there is a change in the breast size, I ask my patient to immediately notify me, such that I can perform an in office examination.   

I would recommend immediate contact with your plastic surgeon as I am concerned by your pain, which is characteristic of a hematoma.   This may require operative intervention to control bleeding, prevent infection, and minimize risk of capsular contracture.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Hematome of the breast

+1

Whether it will clear with no after effects depends on the size.If the breast is hard and rigid it is better to remove it.If it is small and localized you should do fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma After Breast Surgery

+1

A hematoma, if it is not large enough to cause vascular compromise to your skin and or cause numbness or tingling in your arms, will eventually resolve.

You may, however, be at higher risk for capsular contracture.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast hematoma

+1

A breast hematoma if large will not go away on its own and should be evacuated.  You may be more prone to a capsular contracture as well.

Breast Hematoma

+1

The first issue is what kind of breast surgery have you had?  If an implant is involved, the present of a hematoma will in all likelihood contribute to the possibility of a capsular contracture.  That said, it would be easiest to treat that now and try to avoid dealing with a capsular contracture in the future.  If there is no implant as in a breast reduction or lift, the issue would then be the size of the hematoma.  If small it may resolve on its own or we may wait until it liquifies and then aspirate it with a needle.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

+1

If you have implants, the hematoma needs to be evacuated - yesterday.  If it is left to resorb on it's own, you will get a capsular contracture.  If you had a reduction or a lift and there is no implant and if the hematoma is not enlarging and is not tight,  it is reasonable to wait for it to absorb on it's own.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast hematoma treatment

+1

If you truly have a significant breast hematoma and if you have implants, you need it drained so you have less chance of getting a capsular contracture.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hematomas and breast augmentation

+1

My preference is to surgically evacuate any hematomas of significance around a breast implant.  Studies show a much higher rate of capsular contractures later, if this is not done.

Thomas Fiala, MD