Is It Possible to Fix Breasts Which Are Too Far Apart?

I got breast augmentation done in 2007 and I am not happy with them. I think that they are too wide apart and I am not able to crate any cleavage, even with a push up bra. I am now researching a doctor to do my 2nd procedure and would like to know if it is even possible to correct my problem. Currently I have 360cc Saline. What type of implant should I request or what I should I ask the doctors which I am meeting with, to make sure I get what I want this time?

Cleavage Determined By Anatomy

+5

When determining how close or far apart a patients breasts will be after augmentation, it all depends on their own anatomy.  Some women have naturally larger spaces between their breasts, and there is not alot that can be safely done to move them closer. Without examining you it is hard to say, but I wouldbe very cautious of any surgeon who says that they can just cut more inside to move them closer.  This can lead to symmastia ( where the implants actually lift up the tissues and touch underneath in the midline) and is very difficult to correct.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

+4

The breasts look great in the photos. Do not try to force the cleavage in anymore, you may get a symmastia or what I call a "uniboob."

Implants Are Not Too Far Apart

+3

The implants must be centered behind the nipple and the surgical pocket can not pass the edge of the breast bone.

The distance between your breast implants is a result of the width of the breast bone, natural position of your breasts and nipples, curvature of your rib cage.

There is no surgical solution for creating cleavage other than implants large enough to make cleavage with a bra.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

The dreaded "Uniboob": If you put your implants any closer you risk Synmastia

+3

I would state that I do not think your implants because if you do, you risk the implant pockets communicating and creating the dreaded Uniboob or condition called Synmastia or webbin of the skin.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

You don't need a revision

+3

Your implants are not too far apart.  Your surgeon did a good job so you should go back and ask if they think it can be any better.

Beware of unanatural cleavage

+3

It has already been said by others that your implants are well positioned and cleavage is determined in large part by your underlying anatomy.  Your natural breast does not extend past the edges of your breast bone.  To create the cleavage you want the muscles would have to be detached from the bone which can lead to visible rippling and possibly webbing of the skin between your breasts (synmastia) both of which are difficult to correct.  Furthermore, shifting the implants toward the midline would also shift your nipple off its centered position of the breast mound and they would point outward.  This is not a good look.  You may find a surgeon who will do this for you, but be aware of the consequences.

Not Enough Cleavage With My Breast Implants

+3

As some of the other panelists have mentioned, cleavage is largely determined by your anatomy before surgery. Also, if the implants were placed under the muscle then what will limit how close the breasts will come together is the attachment of the pectoralis muscle to the sternum. Efforts to decrease this natural space between the two breasts by either 1) Separating this attachment or 2) Using implants that are too wide for your frame can lead to a problem called symmastia, or uni boob.

That being said, I disagree with you. I think that the space between your breasts is appropriate. I would warn against trying to over manipulate mother nature.

Hope that helps and good luck!

It is possible to treat the wide space with fat grafting

+3

The reason for the space is then space between the pectoralis muscle attachments to the sternum. I use fat grafting to enhance the cleavage. The fat is grafted to the subcutaneous tissue above the muscle and implant.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and cleavage

+2

Cleavage is mostly created by a bra and the breasts should not naturally touch.  Your breast implants are well positioned and have a natural fingerbreadth space between them.  If you desire  more fullness medially(to create more cleavage easily in a bra) you may opt for larger implants which can enhance this region. Also fat injection can be performed medially to enhance the soft tissues without replacing the implants. 

Some women naturally have more soft tissues medially and so the breasts appear to have more cleavage even without a bra.  More often heavier set women have widened breasts that fall closer, but they often suffer less desired droopiness and skin laxity.

Regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi

Village Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://www.drpedyganchi.com

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and cleavage.

+2

The breast implant should be centered over the breast mound and nipple.  I would agree that cleavage is largely determined by your underlying anatomy.  Attempts to narrow the inter mammary distance can lead to difficulties and problems as mentioned and even lead to the nipple in an eccentric location.  A larger implant  may help, but it is difficult to determine from your photos as you appear quite large already.  Consult a  board-certified plastic surgeon in your area experienced in cosmetic breast surgery.