Socks to Shape my Breasts

My Dr has advised me to placed balled up socks in the side of my bra following surgery to help position my breasts. I was very small and the skin and muscles are very tight currently. I've been told this will help to loosen the muscles and get the shape I want ie a good cleavage - I've never heard this before.

Socks in a bra

+1

I think what your doctor wants to do is put something in your bra to move your breasts more medial .This is not unusual and whether you use some socks or foam rubber is not important,as long as it is comfortable.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How to support an augmentation following surgery.

+1

The position of your implants should be dictated by pocket creation at the time of surgery. However, using bandeaus or specific bras to support the implants can help with minor adjustments. I have never heard of placing socks, but many surgeons use padding of one sort or another to help "push" the implants closer together. It certainly won't hurt, but don't be surprised if you don't see much of a change.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Socks in bra?

+1

This is something new that I have never heard of before.  Many things can hold the breasts in temporarily afer surgery.  I guess socks are now on the list!

Can you alter your breast shape after breast augmentation surgery

+1

If your breast implants were placed properly at the time of surgery, you do not need to place anything in your bra to help alter the shape afterwards. You should not need to wear a band the attempts to push the implants downward either.  These methods can not create cleavage if it was not there to begin with. Your breast implants will settle naturally over the course of about 2-3 months after surgery.  Your bra is merely for support and comfort, it will not "give" you cleavage or a better outcome.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast Agmentation Shaping with socks.

+1

I have never heard of this either.  I cannot imagine how this would help, and potentially could cause some damage.  The shape is created at surgery, so if it does not look good on the operating table, it will probably not look good later.  Occasionally i do use a strap to help push the implants down if they are riding high, but otherwise i let nature take its course.

David H. Bauer, MD
Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Balled socks in your bra following breast augmentation

+1

I have to say that I, like most of the other respondents, have never heard of this technique.  That being said, it doesn't mean that it won't be effective.  In reality, the main factors that will determine where your implants will eventually settle are as follows:

• width of breast implants used
  • degree of lateral dissection performed during the actual surgery

Aside from that, some physicians will encourage prolonged taping laterally to support the side of the breast.  This is a unique approach that I have not heard of.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Socks inside bra

+1

The most common way to achieve central fullness in breast augmentation is/are selection of an implant of the proper width, positioning the implant properly, precision myotomy of pectoralis major muscle origin, and post-surgical splinting with an elastic bra and/or a three inch wide elastic implant stabilizing strap available from Medical Z, Design Veronique, Marena, and other suppliers of post-surgical garments.  Submuscular implants with a smooth surface (relative to textured implants) may be more prone to lateralization postoperatively, in my opinion.

Steve Laverson, MD

Using socks to splint a breast implant

+1

Using socks to splint an implant to develop cleavage is a clever way to maintain te fullness achieved during surgery. The real question is whether it will work. You would likely have to wear this 24x7 for 6 weeks in order to have a chance of being effective

Lateral bra support following breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for the question. 

While I don't utilize that technique in my practice, it is conceivable that placing socks on the lateral aspect of your bra will provide added lateral support to provide medialization of the implants. An alternative would be to wear a bandeau to help splint your breasts. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Cleavage and breast implants

+1

I personally have not thought of this but it does make sense. We usually use a foam type of padding in my office. However in my experience cleavage (the sharp angle between the breasts in the midline) cannot be created by breast augmentation. If you do not have cleavage before surgery you will not have it after breast augmentation no matter what you or the surgeon does. You could simulate it by having your clothing push the implants together but as soon as you remove the clothing you will lose the cleavage. If the surgeon puts the implant pockets to close together in the midline and you do not have cleavage before surgery you will end up with symmastia (unibreast) not cleavage.

Aaron Stone, MD