Hair Falling off 4 Years After Hair Transplantation (FUE) Procedure

Hi, I had my FUE procedure done 4 years ago. But now my transplanted hair is falling off again. is it normal? what are my options now? thanks in advacne

Why Your Hair May Start to Fall Out After a Hair Transplant (F.U.E./Follicular Unit Extraction)

+2

The most likely reason your transplanted hair is falling out is Telogen Effluvium.  This is a temporary condition caused by something stressing the follicles and should abate once you are relieved of the stress.  

The other possible cause of this hair loss would be unlikely, but perhaps the grafts were harvested from donor hair which was located too high in the back of the scalp, in an area which was prone to the effects of DHT or other permanent hair loss factors.  If the only hair you are losing is the transplanted hair, then this is possibly the cause, although it would be difficult to determine.

Hair Loss After Transplant

+1

Likely the hair loss you have is due to diffuse thinning of the entire scalp, associated with male pattern hair loss.  Oftentimes, taking Propecia can help stop this, and perhaps even reverse some of the loss.

Web reference: http://www.foundhair.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Falling out after Hair Transplant

+1

Typically transplanted hair should be present independent of whatever technique is used.  If hair is falling out after four years, I assume you are also losing hair around your donor site and unfortunately there is little you can do about this.

FUE Hair Transplant Long-Term Growth

+1

This is not normal, considering FUE hair transplant is a permanent procedure. Transplanted hair should be extracted from an area where it is not DHT-sensitive. (This typically includes the back and sides of the head or the body.) Thus, new growth should not be susceptible to the miniaturizing effects of DHT. Your current hair loss may be due to some other issue, such as an autoimmune disorder or stress. I suggest consulting your physician or a hair loss specialist.

Web reference: http://www.dermhairclinic.com/fue-hair-transplant/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

There are many possibilities that may cause your hair to fall out after a hair transplant. One is the hair was taken from a donor area that was not immune to male pattern baldness. This is unlikely if an experienced surgeon/technician perfomed the procedure. Another consideration is that you are losing the hair around the grafted follicles. I always suggest that a patient use Rogain 5% plus finasteride to diminish this possiblility. You may have some metabolic imbalance, such as hypo or hyperthyroidism. Are you taking steroids? Steroids will increase your DHT which causes hair loss, or you may naturally have an elevated DHT. If so, there are medications that will prevent this transformation from testosterone to DHT.  Possibly you are under undue stress, which can also cause temporary hair loss, called telogen effluvium. Consider consulting a physician who specializes in hair loss who can run the proper blood work and evaluate your problem.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Hair Falling Out After Transplant

+1

Hair which has been transplanted from the correct area should not fall out after a hair transplant procedure due to androgenic alopecia. There are several options for this loss. Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders, physical stress, and autoimmune conditions should be evaluated. It may also be possible that your hair was not harvested from an area which is immune to androgenic alopecia. I would certainly suggest visiting a hair restoration specialist or dermatologist for further evaluation.

Web reference: http://drverret.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss years after a transplant

+1

There are many factors to consider. One possibility  could be that the donor grafts were taken from areas that are becoming bald with age. See a hair transplant specialist. 

Web reference: http://www.kabaker.com

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon