Can Transplanted Hair Be Removed and Repositioned?

I had 4 hair transplants and the last doctor went to far down and made an unnatural pattern, I want to know if the hair can be removed by the FUE technique and put in a different place withot leaving a noticeable mark or scars in my forehead? Witch Doctor do this kind of procedure and waht other Doctors or people recommend?

Repositioning of Transplanted Hair

Your previously transplanted hair can absolutely be punched out and removed via FUE and placed somewhere else.  This is something I commonly do in my practice to fix poorly designed hairlines.  It is important to consider the size of grafts used in the hairline as the bigger the grafts the bigger the punch size needed and this can lead to scarring.  I like to use a 0.7mm punch to remove these grafts if possible as I have found with this small size the scarring is very minimal. Another option to consider is laser hair removal. In cases where I cannot remove the grafts I will treat the patient with 4-6 sessions of laser to remove the hair and then fix the hairline.  Unfortunately with this method you lose the hairs instead of being able to reposition them however it leaves you with no scarring.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Grafts can be removed and replaced

Previously placed grafts can be removed and replaced in another area.  Whether or not there will be a visible scar depends on the size of the original grafts. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Remove and Reposition Hair Grafts with FUE Transplant

This quite challenging procedure is one that I perform on a rather regular basis-  called FUE graft extraction, in which the removed grafts can be replanted, and the tiny holes where the grafts were removed typically heal up within 3 to 5 days.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repositioning Grafts Placed Too Low

The grafts can be removed and repositioned, but any time you cut into the skin there is going to be a mark or scar. Some people heal better or hide scars better than others, but scarring is definitely a risk. I would recommend that you meet with a very experienced hair restoration surgeon and discuss your options, moving the malpositioned grafts or potentially moving the hairline downward. It's going to depend on how many grafts, how low is the new hairline, whether the grafts crossed the temporal recession, etc

Andrew Kaufman, MD

You can remove old hair transplant with FUE but it may leave a scar.  This is something you need to have an exam and discuss with your doctor in detail weighig out the risks with the benefits.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE recipeint sites poorly placed, how to repair them

This is not an uncommon problem and something I have confronted for the past 23 years in practice. The problem is similar to the larger plugs that were placed into the recipient area in the 1980s and 1990s. I have fixed thousands of such patients and the repairs are varied according to the degree of problems. Ther various solutions include: (1)  use of FUE in the larger scar to thin them down, (2) the use of FUE if the scarring is not too great, (3) excision of the frontal hairline completely. This works well when the frontal hairline is really bad and scarring from this is minimal in the hand of experienced surgeons who know how to do this, (4) excision of individual grafts, one at a time, (5) the use of small grafts to camouflage the grafts, (6) the use of scalp micropigmentation which works great as a camouflage technique.

Combinations of the above are often utilized as well.  This is a real specialty, so make sure the surgeon you pick knows how to manage this problem. See the web reference below to see some of the terrible scars in the scalp and how camouflage works and our website in the repair section of our gallery. .

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE to fix a bad hair transplant

It can certainly be done. You can use the FUE method to remove the hair follicles and re-design a new hairline. This will leave very minimal scarring. For procedures like this, we use 0.6mm punches to minimize the scars. In addition, we just performed an FUE procedure last week where one side of  the donor area was injected with ACELL and the other side was not . We noticed that the minimal scarring that usually takes place with the FUE procedure was not even visualized in the area that was injected with ACELL. 

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Repositioning FUE

Repositioning previously placed grafts is certainly possible. Unfortunately anytime that you cut the skin you leave a scar but these scars are often very small and not noticeable. As some of the other physicians noted, be sure that other facial surgeries are not necessary before removing all of your implanted grafts.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

One thing to think about before lifting a hairline

We often remove previously transplanted grafts for various reasons - too large a graft, improper orientation of the hair, or an unnaturally low hairline. One thing to take into consideration before elevating a hairline is to have your brow and forehead evaluated. If you may need a Brow Lift procedure at all in the near future, that surgery will not only lift heavy, sagging eyebrows but also may elevate the frontal hairline. If that is not an issue for you, there are defintely options to create a hairline that looks more natural.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting malpositioned grafts with fue

I actually did this for a patient this week using the neograft device which can accurately and extract these mal-positioned grafts and replaced them in a more favorable position, depth, angle and direction.

Hope this helps

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist