Can Transplanted Hair Be Removed and Repositioned?

I had 4 hair transplants and the last doctor went to far down and made an unnatural pattern, I want to know if the hair can be removed by the FUE technique and put in a different place withot leaving a noticeable mark or scars in my forehead? Witch Doctor do this kind of procedure and waht other Doctors or people recommend?

Hair Grafts can be removed and replaced

+2

Previously placed grafts can be removed and replaced in another area.  Whether or not there will be a visible scar depends on the size of the original grafts. 

Remove and Reposition Hair Grafts with FUE Transplant

+2
This quite challenging procedure is one that I perform on a rather regular basis-  called FUE graft extraction, in which the removed grafts can be replanted, and the tiny holes where the grafts were removed typically heal up within 3 to 5 days.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repositioning Grafts Placed Too Low

+2

The grafts can be removed and repositioned, but any time you cut into the skin there is going to be a mark or scar. Some people heal better or hide scars better than others, but scarring is definitely a risk. I would recommend that you meet with a very experienced hair restoration surgeon and discuss your options, moving the malpositioned grafts or potentially moving the hairline downward. It's going to depend on how many grafts, how low is the new hairline, whether the grafts crossed the temporal recession, etc

Andrew Kaufman, MD

FUE to fix a bad hair transplant

+1

It can certainly be done. You can use the FUE method to remove the hair follicles and re-design a new hairline. This will leave very minimal scarring. For procedures like this, we use 0.6mm punches to minimize the scars. In addition, we just performed an FUE procedure last week where one side of  the donor area was injected with ACELL and the other side was not . We noticed that the minimal scarring that usually takes place with the FUE procedure was not even visualized in the area that was injected with ACELL. 

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Repositioning FUE

+1

Repositioning previously placed grafts is certainly possible. Unfortunately anytime that you cut the skin you leave a scar but these scars are often very small and not noticeable. As some of the other physicians noted, be sure that other facial surgeries are not necessary before removing all of your implanted grafts.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

One thing to think about before lifting a hairline

+1

We often remove previously transplanted grafts for various reasons - too large a graft, improper orientation of the hair, or an unnaturally low hairline. One thing to take into consideration before elevating a hairline is to have your brow and forehead evaluated. If you may need a Brow Lift procedure at all in the near future, that surgery will not only lift heavy, sagging eyebrows but also may elevate the frontal hairline. If that is not an issue for you, there are defintely options to create a hairline that looks more natural.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting malpositioned grafts with fue

+1

I actually did this for a patient this week using the neograft device which can accurately and extract these mal-positioned grafts and replaced them in a more favorable position, depth, angle and direction.

Hope this helps

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Correcting a bad transplant

+1

Absolutely.... you can remove the previous work by FUE process and implant it again in a more proper and natural fashion. If you have experienced techs in FUE work it can be done with a high rate of success and no scarring or residual marks left in the scalp

Removal and Repositioning of Hairline Transplants

+1

The poorly positioned hair transplants can be removed and repositioned. However, unfavorable scarring is likely and growth from those repositioned grafts will be decreased. It would be better to lift the hairline and refine it with a few additional grafts.  

Remove and replant hair transplants not a good idea.

+1
We pull the hair line back which is cheaper, does not leave scars on your forehead, and conserves future grafts.