FUE White Dot Scars - Options to Fix It?

I have terrible fue scarring after 3000 grafts and wonder what I can do about it. 1.Fraxel laser to see if the white dots blend out and golfball surface from where the grafts where taken. 2.Make slit in the white dots and fill with Acell to create new tissue growth. 3.Bodyhair to the scars but that will not make the white dots go away.

Waiting Plus Micropigmentation to improve FUE Dot Scars

If it has been less than 2 years from your procedure I think you should wait and see if it improves.  If it has been longer, the best results I have seen is with scalp micropigmentation which is something we do in our office and have received excellent results. Trying to implant hairs into the dots I have found to not work so well.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE does create unfavorable white dot scars

Your experience fortifies what I have believed ever since there has been so much promotion about FUE being "scarless" donor surgery that would allow a shaved head style afterwards. In my opinion , micro pigmentation with the newer superficial techniques developed in the UK might give you the best disguise of the white dots. Since you are in Los Angeles, I might suggest you see Dr. William Rassman who is promoting and performing this procedure. Another option is to wear a longer hair style .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants left white spots after FUE

If the white dots are scars from the follicle removal sites, these are not likely to change once the scars are mature..which typically occurs after several months.

Unfortunately there is no way of removing these tiny scars. But micro-pigmentation can be considered to hide them.

Hassan Nurein, MD
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes you can fix FUE scars with Scalp MicroPigmentation

I fix FUE scars routinely at my clinic with Scalp MicroPigmentation.  FUE is not a scarless surgery.  Scarless is just marketing. Fraxel or Acell do not work from my experience of seeing people who have tried it with other doctors.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The White Dots in the Donor area after an FUE

The ON:Y fix I know for treating scalp scars including FUE scars, is scalp micropigmentation which works wonderfully as can be seen on our website in web reference below. The FUE scars you are talking about are minor compared to the larger scars of a similar nature shown on the website. . 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scarring after FUE

I agree with Dr. Kabaker.  Hair restoration has gone through very important evolution for the last ten years.  One being the induction of FUE as a choice for harvesting the donor area.  Unfortunately many doctors imply that it is non surgical thereby resulting in no scars after the procedure.  FUE is a invasive surgical procedure and it does leave scaring.  The scar is small white dots in the areas of FUE extraction.  Your best bet is to do micro pigmentation or leave your hair longer to cover the dots. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE white dots

I would begin with scalp micro pigmentation.  I would begin by doing this in a two day session.  Then follow up in one month.  Next after 6 months, and then have a check up in one year.

Acell in the extraction sites will not help.  

BHT in the extraction sites can be useful alone or in combination with SMP.  The issue is whether the BHT will grow.

Trust me, you are much better off with white dots than a strip scar.  You can't repair those ugly things, but you can almost totally eliminate white dots.  FUE is by far the better solution over strip harvesting.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE can create white dot scars

Unfortunately you are experiencing one of the unadvertised results of follicular unit extraction. Anytime the skin is cut there will be a scar - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. In the case of strip harvesting this will be a linear scar. In the case of FUE, there will be white dots left behind. These white dots are hypopigmented areas and will never fill back in. You have a couple of options. First is medical tattooing of the area. Second, you can perform a laser resurfacing procedure to lighten the surrounding skin and make the white dots blend better. Third, longer hair will cover the scar. These and a couple of other options are all subject to your particular problem and skin color. I would recommend talking with a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who performs hair transplants to further discuss your options.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

FUE and Micro Pigmentation Tattooing

Adding body hair to the dots might help; however, the white may remain. How long has it been since the surgery? If it has persisted beyond two years, you should consider micro pigmentation tattooing. If it is still early, it is always a good idea to wait at least two years since it may improve to your satisfaction in that time period.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon