How to Avoid Lip Injection Lumps?

I heard the more thats injected the more likely lumps will form so does that mean its tough to get full lips without lumps? or does it depend on the surgeon? is it more likely to get lumps with fat injections in the lips? also how can a person get full lips without the duck look?

The best way to avoid lumps from fillers in the lips is to get implants.

+2

Any fillers can cause lumps in the lips but the lip implants are smooth and don't result in the lumps and bumps that fillers can get.  Also the implants are permanent and cost effective in the long run for about 1500-2000 per implant.  They are easy to put in under local anesthesia and easy to remove if needed.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Avoiding lumpiness in lip injections

+1

Lumps in the lips following Juvederm injections can be caused by trauma, bleeding or too superficial of an injection.    Injecting the lips is technically challenging.  The goal is an aesthetically pleasing lip and not just a fat or sausage lip.  I usually inject in the white roll of the lip, this is the junction between the skin and the mucosal portion of the lip.  I usually do not inject in to the body of the lip as this can form lumps. 

Avoiding lumps when using fillers for Lip Augmentation

+1

Yes, it is absolutely possible to have full lips without looking like a duck.  The duck look is from the upper lip being larger and fuller than the lower lip which violates the aesthetic principles of beautiful lips.  The problem here is that many patients and MD's seem to ignore that one simple fact.

The reason lumps develop in the lips after repeated lip filler treatments is most likely related to the scar tissue that forms from repeeated lip treatments uisng fillers introduced with needles.  This creates small amounts of bleeding and blood is very irritating to tissue, causing scar formation.  With patience and skill, most of the lumps can be avoided and you can always take a few months off and allow the lips to soften before having them injected again. You could also have ypour lips augmented using a semi-permanent or permanent lip implant.

Plumps without lumps

+1

Firstly, you can have beautiful shapely lips without looking like a duck and without having artificial looking lips. An experienced injector and good communication between the patient and the doctor are key. Make sure that they understand what you want. Lumps that persist are unusual when the proper filler is used by an experienced doctor. Temporary "lumps" may be caused with bruising but that is not common and should resolve quickly. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Lip lumps

+1

First avoid implantable rods in your lips the produce disastrous results. As per fat you will end up with a fat lip! Hyaluronic Acid is the best for lips and I prefer Juvederm over Resylane in that it is smoother lips. Since inventing lip augmentation in 1984 I inject with a 32 gauge needle and inject very slowly. The key is t o make the material flow gently ahead of the needle and do not inject in a retrograde fashion. That is as you pull the needle out. I have my assistant massage any unevenness as i inject and I rarely ever get a lump.

Arnold W. Klein, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Must I have lumps from lip augmentation?

+1

The best way to get lumps from lip augmentation is by using hydroxyapetite.  Hyaluronic acid and fat are better alternatives.  Hyaluronic acid (Juvederm or Restylane) are smooth, reliable, but short lived.  Fat may be permanent, but where it takes and where it doesn't can be unpredictable.  I generally use the former.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Lip Enhancement Injections

+1

Hi 4423anon in canada,

Lumps after lip enhancement injections can happen with any lip injection material (fat, hyaluronic acid, collagen, etc) or surgeon/ specialist. Most lumps are temporary and due to swelling. Small bumps or lumps in the lips after cosmetic injection augmentation typically resolve in a few days, but possibly couple weeks. The lip bumps may be the product material, bruising / swelling, or combination.

Your plastic surgeon or dermatologist may massage the lips to help smooth the area. Alternatively, hyaluronidase may be injected into the bump to help dissolve the material. Lumps from the material itself generally resolve as your body naturally dissolves the product. Speak to your lip injector regarding any concerns you may have. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temporary lip augmentation with fillers can usually be performed without lumps

+1

Temporary lip augmentation with fillers can usually be performed without lumps. While lumps can be the result of reactions by the patient avoiding them is usually under the auspices of the art of the physician.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Lip injections

+1

I think with a good injector you wil have a lower incidence of lumps from injection to the lips.  But it still can happen.  I usually massage the lip after injection to minimize the risk.

Lip Injection

+1

Lumps after lip injection come from using the wrong filler and inexperience of the injector. Hyaluronic acid, collagen and fat are all good lip fillers. You did not provide pictures or information about your age to discuss full lips with you. As we all age, we lose fat within the lips. Replacing that fat restores the fullness of the lip in someone who has lost it without making the lips look unnatural. If you are young, the lips can be augmented without looking fake if one takes care to enhance them subtlety.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon