Can I Get FUE if I'm Not Balding? If I Have a Naturally Bad Hairline, So Can I Get FUE to Correct It?

I would love to fix my hairline, but I don't know if I would be able to--it seems like FUE is just a corrective surgery. The part of my hairline that I hate is at the temples; I have no problem with the height of my forehead (if this helps you to answer my question in any way). Is there another treatment to correct my hairline if I am not a candidate for FUE? Any answer is great. Thanks a lot.

YES

FUE is just a method or harvesting grafts.  YES, you can have surgery to fix your hair line.  FUE may be a great option.  Ultimately you need an exam by a doctor first and don't always focus on FUE or a type of surgery.  Focus on results.

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are used in the NeoGraft. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft. My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair follicles.

However, the focus of surgery should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts. From a donor scarring perspective, YOUR HAIR IS LONG. If you are ever going to shave your head or cut your hair really short, you should probably get the FUE. That is it. If a "line scar" scares you, then get the FUE.

Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

Just remember a 4000 graft FUE scar is like having a collective open wound hole the size of a baseball on the back of the head. There is nothing minimally invasive about that. I also perform Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) and fix horrible FUE scars routinely. These is nothing "scarless" about FUE.

I have performed surgery on Dr. Rassman and his family members using the strip technique. The linear scar on Dr. Rassman is a pencil thin line you probably will have a hard time finding. The point is, a strip surgery scar is not as terrible as the Internet makes it out to be.

Both FUE and Strip surgeries has its place. Don't be caught up in marketing and doctors who try to sell you one type surgery.

The focus should be on Results.
A bad hair transplant result from FUE or Strip is like Herpes. You'll carry it with you for life (with either thousands of dots or a line).

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Correcting a bad hairline

What you are asking is about cosmetic hair transplants. Assuming you are a male and above 30 years of age and you have had diagnostic tests that ruled out any balding prospects, then yes, this is a straight forward problem with FUE or any standard hair transplant. You can even add a widow's peak if your want one, something we do often when requested.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE for Naturally High Hairline

Yes, FUE is an excellent corrective procedure for a genetically high hairline, even if no pattern baldness is present. FUE is ideal for hairline restoration because of the ability to use fine donors from the nape, thus creating a very natural appearance.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

FUE or Traditional Strip Harvest Would Work Well For You

FUE refers to the technique of how the grafts are harvested.  Grafts can be harvested by removal a strip of scalp as well.  Either method of harvest would work well for you.  With just temporal recession of your hairline, complete restoration of your hairline should be easily achieveable.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

FUE for correction of bad Hairline

The temple area is one of the easiest to correct in early male pattern baldness.  This can be repaired using the traditional hair strip technique or FUE, and has little to do with the method of harvesting if you have adequate donor hair. 

Jack Fisher, MD

No grafting if you are not balding.

No grafting if you are not balding. This is my philosophy since these grafts will be out in front if your balding progresses and you do not have enough hair to complete the process. Michael Keaton is an example of this.