Will my breast implants look bigger once they drop?

Hi there, I am 5"11/2, 125 lbs 30" ribcage. Before ba I was a 36b but did not fill it out. I am happy with the shape but feel they do not look big enough from the side veiw. I'm 18 day post op and they are still very sore too touch and tight. I spoke to my surgeon yesterday and she said 400cc is fairly large and once they settle they should project more and be larger. I'm feeling very depressed thinking I should have went bigger. Please help me by giving me some insight. Thanks!

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  No one will be able to predict exactly what cup size you will wear or whether the breast will look slightly smaller or slightly larger in the longer term. Variables involved include the presence of swelling currently and the disputed phenomenon called “dropping and fluffing” that occurs after several weeks. In my practice, I have seen this phenomenon occur; the breasts appear larger as the implants "settle". 

It may be helpful to you to know that many patients, shortly after breast augmentation surgery is performed, feel their breasts are “too small” or “too big”, only to be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

At this point, I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Stay emotionally even keeled during the process of physical and psychological “adaptation” to the new body image that occurs for any patient undergoing body contouring surgery.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast implant dropping

+2
First and foremost you're in good company. All patients who undergo breast implant surgery look too big, too tight, too high, and too swollen early on.
In my own practice I tell my patients that it will be about three weeks before they even believe that they're going to come down, by about 12 weeks I will know and you will know you are high,but no one else will care, and ultimately your most natural result will come between six and 12 months after surgery.
Some patients can take longer to drop than others depending on the size of the implant and their anatomy. For example, it will take longer for a 500 CC implant stretch and relax the skin and muscle than a smaller implant. A more muscular person with a sub muscular implant will take longer for the implant to drop as well.
Share your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who I suspect will walk you through this and confirm that your normal.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Bigger once the implants drop

+2
You are still very early in the post operative period.  You will continue to see changes in the shape and size of your breasts for 3-4 months after surgery.  It takes a full 3-4 months for the implants to settle and take on their appearance.  The swelling at the top of the breast  will decrease and you will notice the bottom of the breast begin to fill out. I cannot say that you will look larger. My experience has been that as the swelling subsides, the breasts will not look as large as they do immediately after surgery.  It is possible to place another larger implant but I would absolutely wait at least 6 months until you achieve your final results before considering another surgery.  Consult your surgeon. Be patient and trust the advice your surgeon gives you.

Best regards,

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant appearance change over time

+2
Your breasts will likely have a better shape with less upper pole roundness Ina few months once the implant 'drop' - although a 400 cc implant is relatively large for your frame.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Will I be bigger?

+2
Implants can take up to 3-6 months to fully settle or drop.  As they do, the fullness at the top of the breasts ideally moves to the level across the nipple-areolar complexes giving the breast a full shapely look.  At three weeks, you are still swollen and the muscles are still tight.  That is what you are seeing/feeling.  Give it time.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Size anxiety

+2
It is very common to think you went too big/small early after breast augmentation. It is too early to tell as you are still swollen and tight. Let the breasts heal and they will be more mobile and natural. Also, if you think 400cc is too small then don't make the mistake of thinking that 425cc or 450cc will fix the problem. To look substantially different you would have had to have gone up into the 500cc plus range. I agree with your surgeon. Be patient.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

You have to be patient and let your swelling go away!

+2
The hardest thing is to be patient during the initial recovery phase after surgery when everything is swollen and sore.If you are dissatisfied Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

+1
You are only about 3 weeks post-op, which is still early in your recovery.  It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your implants to settle.  Your breasts will change is shape and size over the next few months as well.  400cc is a fairly large implant for your size so try to be patient and give it some time.  Continue to follow up with your surgeon so your progress can be tracked and follow your surgeon's post-op instructions.  Re-evaluate in the next few months with your surgeon and if you are still unhappy with your projection/size, you can discuss your options at that time.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon