I am a competitive athlete, will a breast augmentation affect my body from intense exercise (once fully healed)?

I do high intensity sports, will a breast augmentation affect me from being able to be rough on my body athletically? will I be able to do all forms of exercise (once fully healed)? or will there be more of a risk of the silicone tearing or moving?

+3
The majority of patients who undergo the breast augmentation procedure will be able to return to full activity without restriction, over the long-term. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients "in competition” helpful to you. Best wishes.

Breast Implants in a competitive athlete

+3
Dear Calicat,

A breast augmentation should not directly effect your ability to exercise to full capacity.  If you are a body builder or power lifter you may want to consider placing the implants over the pectoral muscle to maintain the full strength of your pectorals.  If placed under the muscle also be aware of the hyperanimation deformity (shifting of the implant with pectoral muscle contraction) that may occur during intense exercise.  The new form stable implant may be your best option for over the muscle placement, as it is less likely to show rippling.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast Implants for a competitive athlete

+2
I perform a lot of breast augmentation surgeries on athletes and fitness models. The size and position of the breast implants is of utmost importance. Find a plastic surgeon with experience and expertise working with athletes

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Athletes can get breast augmentation!

+2
Great question.  The answer is yes you can undergo breast augmentation safely!  The only real issue is implant size and placement--whether it be above or below the pectoralis muscle.  Most athletic women who perform intense upper body workouts and weight training prefer to have the implants above the muscle in order to reduce the possibility of implant animation which is when flexing the pectorals muscle moves the implant upwards.  This is less likely to happen if the implant is placed above the muscle.  The downside of placing the implant above the muscle, however, is a very slightly increased rate of capsular contracture as well as an increased possibility of being able to see and feel the implant (especially in small breasted women).  I suggest you go in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns in more detail.  Good luck! 

Elan B. Singer, MD

Athletes and Breast Augmentation

+2
In over 20 years of practice, I have performed many breast augmentations on competitive athletes including body builders, aerobic instructors, runners, tennis players, etc. Once fully healed (within months), these athletes resumed ALL of their activities without a problem. The implant choice is not all that important in regards to physical activity. Although the sub pectoral pocket is by far the best place for a breast implant, on occasions, an athlete can feel the implant move with contraction of the pectoralis muscle. This movement is normal and hardly noticeable by anyone else. A skier once told me that after skiing, her breast implants stay colder for a longer period of time and take a little longer to warm up.
Hope this helps.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

BA in athletes

+2
Many very athletic women get breast augmentation.  Wi that being said, there are a few things to consider.  If you are a body builder, lean and muscular, you should consider staying with small implants if you want them under the muscle or you will need to place them in front of the muscle which may make rippling more visible, if you get rippling.  If you are a world-class/professional athlete, the implants under the muscle may effect your muscle strength and function enough to efct your performance at that level, especially if you go with bigger implants.  I have cared for a number of fitness instructors, some who compete, without any athletic concerns after surgery.  So you can do just fine.  You should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon to address your concerns and goals.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Exercise

+2

Thank you for your question. Many of my breast implant patients are fitness professionals or enthusiasts who are lean and have the muscular build. In fact, I'm seeing more and more patients engaging in programs like "cross-fit" etc. You can definitely consider breast augmentation and return to your fitness routines once you have healed. To achieve a natural look, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Exercise and breast implants

+1
You should be able to do whatever exercise you did before breast augmentation if you do not get implants that are too large.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Implants work in high intensity sports

+1
but you have to decide on what activities you are considering.  With body building, submuscular implants distort breasts but many learn to work around it so they can have the benefits of being under the muscle.  If you are into rock climbing, probably best to keep the implant above the muscle.  But the implant itself will eventually have to be replaced so anticipate that.  So, yes, you can have them but make sure they will fit into your lifestyle and obligations.

Curtis Wong, MD

Yes you can return to intense sports training after breast augmentation!

+1
I imagine there are women competing in Sochi with breast implants.  Make sure you identify an experienced surgeon Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS