I had Breast surgery while I was unknowingly 9 wks pregnant: Could the anesthesia have caused my miscarriage 2 weeks post op?

I did not know I was pregnant at the time of surgery, however a pregnancy test was taken. I do not know the results but assuming if it read positive I would have been told. I miscarried about 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. Based on my hormone levels I was around 9 weeks pregnant. Is there a relationship between the general anesthesia or the surgery that would have caused this?? I would think the test taken by the office would have shown up positive at this point.

This simple answer is know on can tell you for sure.

+2
In emergency situations where women are involved in accidents and need surgery there has not been a difference in miscarriages.  Of course these are emergency situations and not an elective procedure.  I have actually had this situation twice in my career.

Miscarriage After Breast Surgery

+1
Anything is possible with a pregnancy after anesthesia and surgery. If a patient has a positive urine pregnancy test on the day of elective plastic surgery, the patient is most definitely postponed until after the pregnancy. Consult with your surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon