Is Fat Redraping Same As Fat Repositioning to Address Eye Hollowness and Bags? (photo)

I'm considering to do lower eyelid surgery and the doctor said that he can do conservative fat removal and fat redraping. I fear that since my eye is prominent it may sag the lower eyelid and show more of the white are of my eyes. Would Restylane suit better for my eye anatomy?

Hollows and eyelid surgery

+1
With your younger age and hollowness,I would avoid removing fat.  You may want to consider adding filler as an alternative to fat redraping, fat transposition or other eyelid surgery at this time. I would consult in an office visit with an eyelid specialist who can examine your properly for the ideal recommendations.

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sagging eyes

+1

I think you have a tendency for your lower eyelid to retract and so when the doctor does your eyes he amy want to tighten the lower lid with a canthoplasty or canthopexy.Fat addition would help as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fat redraping or filler

+1

Fat redraping may help some areas of depression near the orbital rim but the fat has a hard time reaching the tear trough region. You  may need both.

Blepharoplasty

+1

What I see in your posted photos is a visible tear trough especially on the right, a very slight fat bulge on the right and slight muscle bulges just under the eyelashes more so on the right in the no smile. In the smile the fat bulges become more prominent as do the muscle bulges especially on the right. In my experience fat removal through incisions inside or outside the eyelid will create a hollowed out skeleton appearance. Redraping or repositioning the fat over the bone rim under the eye when the before surgery fat bulges go in and out like yours in my experience does not work. Your best bet is therefore a filler inject under the fat bulges. However that will not do anything for the muscle bulges that are very visible in the smile photos.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

A combination of techniques may your ideal solution.

+1

There are many ways to achieve the desired result here, and different surgeons may offer different approaches based on their comfort level and experience. Both injectible fillers [Resylane and Juviderm] as well as fat transfer can be used to address you problem. With fillers alone, it is a bit more challenging to achieve the ideal result and may need a few syringes for both sides.

One technique that has yielded excellent results, is a combination of conservative fat excision, with fat transfer to the hollows just below the lids [tear trough]

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid bags

+1

Fat redraping (or lower lid fat transposition) should not alter the lower eyelid position if done correctly, and it is a good option for you.  As you suggested, filler injection is another option.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery, #blepharoplasty, #tiredeyes, #fatgrafting, #restylane, #beauty

+1

Dear Essence 1981

Thank you for your question!  The shaping around the lower eyelids is very important- just as important as the eyelid surgery... adding the volume under the eye eliminates the hollow and provides support for the lower eyelid- preventing the increase in white show.  With the surgical approach Fat Grafting gives great results. Non surgically you have Restylane placed on the deep layer to correct the hollow.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

There are a number of good options. As always it depends on the skill and experience of the doctor.

+1

I have had excellent results in many patients like you with conservative transconjunctival laser fat removal for the lower eyelid bags.  Redraping is another good approach.  Seek consultation with a respected eyelid surgeon and ask to see lots of before and after photos of patients who look just like you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat re-positioning in lower eyelid surgery

+1

There are many different methods used to correct the lower eyelids.   In many individuals fat repositioning or fat redrapping is appropriate.  Also it appears that you have some thickening of the muscle as well.  A possible treatment plan may include tightening of the muscle with fat repositioning.  Of course an exam would be needed to give you  a  precise answer.  Juvederm or Restylane can fill in the tear trough and may improve the transition zone between the lower eyelid and your medial cheek.  

Is Fat Redraping Same As Fat Repositioning to Address Eye Hollowness and Bags?

+1

The short answer is yes; from your photos, I do not see any skin excess, and a very small amount of fat in the lower eyelids.  I treat this quite a bit with fillers alone with excellent results.  You can choose a dermal filler like Restylane or Juvederm, or you can use your own fat- which can give excellent permanent results. I agree that you need it transferred to the orbital cheek junction. I dont think you need fat removal, as I believe this will make your eyelid look too hollow.  Repositioning is an option, but I believe that you need more fat fill than what the repositioning will give.  If you choose to have the lower eyelid surgery, then I agree that you should certainly do the transconjunctival approach for the reasons already mentioned.  In summary, you have choices, and each Plastic Surgeon will have their preferences on how to treat.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon