When Can I Notice Final Results of Ptosis Repair?

I got congenital ptosis repair 10 days ago and my eyes still look uneven. Should I be concerned?

Patients is key

+1

10 days is not nearly enough time to allow for the swelling to go away, much less allow for potential scarring to soften up. 3 months is the minimal time required and maybe even longer for congenital cases, which are more challenging.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surger final results

+1

It can take up to 6 months to see final results, although you can usually get a pretty good idea by 6 weeks after ptosis surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Final results after ptosis repair

+1

I agree.  You do not see the final results from eyelid surgery for at least 6 months, maybe longer.  It is hard to tell from your email band I do not mean to burst your bubble, but if you were treated with ptosis repair for UNILATERAL congenital ptosis, an expectation of perfect symmetry is an unrealistic goal since the muscle in the ptotic side is not weak or attenuated as in acquired ptosis but is anatomically and histologically abnormal.  Hopefully, you were informed of this before surgery.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven10 Days After Eyelid Ptosis Repair

+1

10 days is still a bit early and swelling may be present. Your surgeon should be seeing you at some point but it may take a few months for things to even out.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

The final results of a congenital ptosis surgery-about 6 months possibly longer.

+1

Ptosis surgery is tricky business.  Congenital ptosis surgery is even tricker.  Even a small amount of swelling in the eyelid can affect the appearance.  By 2 months one may have an 80 or 85% result but even still many more months of healing are needed to see the so-called final result.