What if Anything, Can I Do About the Fat Pockets Above my Eyes? (photo)

Ok, I asked this once, but I think I should have been more clearer. I have these fat pockets above both my eyelids. One fat pocket is smaller and less noticeable than the other, but they are both there. They definitely make my eyes look more closed than they should. If I slightly elevate the area where the fat pockets are its a huge difference. I am 20 yrs. old, is that too young for surgery? What are the other alternatives? Would I need orbital decompression surgery?

Outide corner or inside corner?

+1

If its the inside corner, then fat may be the issue, if its the outside corner, it likely is the lacrimal [tear] gland that is prolapsing for the orbit [eye socket].

This is not unsual in African-American patients, as their orbits are a bit shallower and their eyes are often a bit more prominent.

This can be addressed surgically but resuspending the gland. Although there are many experience surgeons that can provide this expertise, ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeons may have the most experience.

You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Removing fat pockets on the upper eyelids...

+1

Fat pockets within the upper eyelids can be reduced by simply placing incisions in the crease of each eye and surgically decreasing the amount present.  When you have fullness on the outer part of the eyelid, it may represent a droopy lacrimal gland (the gland that produces tears).  This can be lifted up and sutured down during the same procedure.  This procedure is normally done under local anesthesia, but can be performed under general anesthesia as well.  Fine sutures are used to close the incisions.  The procedure takes about an hour, and you are able to go home the same day.  There is no age criterion - the anatomy dictates what needs to be done, but I would make a consultation with a board certified facial plastic, plastic, or oculoplastic surgeon to discuss all of your options. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating fat pockets above the eyes

+1

Fat pockets located in the inner corners of the upper eyelids can be easily removed through a small incision in the eyelid crease.  Usually the fat pads are removed at the time of an upper blepharoplasty incisions are then closed with dissolvable sutures.  The goal of an upper blepharoplasty is to remove excess skin and medial fat pockets and is often performed under brief general anesthesia.

Blepharoplasty

+1

I do not think your age alone would disqualify you from surgery. I thought you were pretty clear on your first post and this post does not change my answer to your first post. I don't see any need for orbital decompression.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Prolapsed lacrimal glands

+1

What you are describing may or may not be your lacrimal glands. It is best to get a personal consult and examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat pockets above eyes

+1

Dear Mz Understood.  The fat pockets above your eyes are located towards the outer aspect and probably represent your tear producing glands (lacrimal glands).  These need to be repositioned behind the bone above the 'fat pockets' which  is accomplished by way of a standard upper eyelid incision.  You should arrange a consultation with your local plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

You do not need an orbital decompression.

+1

What you need is a consultation with a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Upper eyelid surgery

+1
unfortunately the photograph is taken both at a strange angle and with the upper part of the frame of the glasses covering the exact area you are asking about. try taking the picture straight on without the glasses and we will see if we can help.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon