Should I Do the Laser or the Surgery for my Droopy Upper Eyelids?

"Laser" is often used as a marketing tool

+2

It is important to know if your problem is truly a droopy eyelid [ptosis], or excess eyelid skin, or a droopy brow....or a combination problem.

Photos would be helpful.

In general, lasers used to make incisions are generally accepted to be a gimmick marketing tool. If you have crepy skin, lasers can be used to resurface skin which will tighten and improve its quality. But if the laser is used specifically to make and incision, it doesn't really give an improved outcome.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

?Best Treatment for Aging Upper Lid

+2

There is no such singular thing as "the laser" and I suspect whoever is proposing it to you is a single tool and single solution doctor. The best way to approach the aging upper lid is by evaluation the low forehead, the brw position, the position of the upper ld and is coverage of the eye as well as its laxity. When these are all taken into consideration the surgeon should be able to pick the appropriate treatment from hs repertoire ( uper bleparoplasty with or withourpt tear gland repositionning , with or without brow lift, with or without eyelid posits repair) instead of  just subjecting you to a just another skin tightening.

Laser surgery and traditional eyelid surgery can both give great results.

+2

Good results can be obtained both with laser and traditional eyelid surgery.  It depends on the skill and experience of the doctor performing the surgery.  Seek consultation with a respected eyelid surgeon and ask to see lots of before and after photos.  I personally use the laser for all of my upper eyelid surgeries.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser for upper lid surgery

+2

there are generally two types of lasers   one is used for incision ,  this is the surgeons preference,   the other is used to tighten skin and smooth lines.

surgery of the lids and brows is usually most effective and laser can further help with texture and fine lines.

Droopy eyelids

+2

If you have droopy eyelids, lasers will not help. It is best to be evaluated for a brow lift and/or blepharoplasty.

Droopy Upper Eyelids

+2

It would be best to have some photos. Droopy eyelids can mean many things. If it is droopy skin or dermatochalasis, a blepharoplasty can help you. If the lid itself is droopy, it is called blepharoptosis and a ptosis repair is necessary.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

I am not sure what you are asking here.

+2

There is more than one type of droopy eyelid.  You could have excess upper eyelid skin which is best addressed with an upper blepharoplasty.  Or you could have ptosis of the upper eyelid margin which requires a specialized surgery that strengthens the muscle that raises the upper eyelid margin.  It is also possible to have both issues.  Laser resurfacing addresses skin quality issues.  To do enough laser resurfacing to effectively tighten your upper eyelid, you are likely to suffer from laser resurfacing complications.  I would recommend that focus on finding well qualified surgeons to see in consultation.  Get several opinions.  This is more important than focusing on the method of treatment.

Laser or blepharoplasty

+2

If by laser, you mean laser resurfacing, then that aims to smooth the eyelid skin by eliminating fine wrinkles. A blepharoplasty for the upper lids eliminates excess skin and fat. So the two are different.

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid blepharoplasty, skin is key

+2

In lower lid rejuvenation the laser is of benefit to tighten the skin when a transconjunctival approach is used. However, with the upper lid, the skin excess if the key, and skin excision gives the best correction, and fastest recovery.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Blepharoplasty or surgery is the choice for excess skin.

+2

Blepharoplasty  or surgery is the choice for excess skin. If the problem is wrinkles, that is treated with a laser.