How to Evaluate Thickness of Your Nose Skin for Rhinoplasty?

Can I evaluate thickness of my skin (nose?How? Or I should go to a plastic surgeon?

Evaluating the Thickness of My Nose

+1

Jey, if I had a cardiac condition (I don't) I would not try to evaluate my condition but I would see a specialist for examination. Members of this forum have answered many rhinoplasty questions for you at different times in the recent past - I suggest that you have a consultation with a surgeon experienced in this work to examine you, evaluate your nose, present alternatives, and establish reasonable expectations. 

Evaluate the Thickness of tip Skin

+1

Hi,

An experienced ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon can definitely give you that answer. However, if you touch the tip of your nose and you can feel two seperate pieces of stiff protuberences, then your feeling you lower lateral cartilages and you probably have very thin skin. If you cannot feel these protuberences and the skin is oily and stiff, you probably have thicker skin.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Nose Skin Thickness

+1

The thickness of skin on the nose is one of the least changeable parts of your nose.  Thick skin will result in a nose that has softer angles, less definition, and is broader.  Thicker skin will also retain swelling longer after surgery.  Some surgeons will attempt to thin nasal skin, however I do not agree with this practice.  It carries a high risk of complication which may permanently disfigure you.

Thicker nasal skin is more common in darker skin types.  Commonly, thicker skin will have larger pores and be more oily.  You can also get a good idea how thick the skin is by touch.  If it is easy to feel details of the bone and cartilage then it is likely thinner.  Thinner skin also tends to be more easily slid over the underlying tissues.

Generally, thick skin is only an issue on the tip.  While it is possible to have thick skin on the upper part of the nose, it generally does not challenge the result of a rhinoplasty like thick skin at the tip.

Nasal skin may get thicker as you get older.  This is most true in people with rosacia.

Web reference: http://www.dr-apo.com

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon