I'm 19 Wks Pregnant and I Believe I May Have Fractured my Nose 9 Days Ago, What Should I Do?

I had light swelling for 3 days followed by light bruising under my left eye & upper nose. By 4th day I noticed upper left side of nose slightly sunken in & can feel a "dent" in bridge on side of nose. The last few days the pain has increased, I'm getting bad headaches, lots of pressure in upper left side of nose & can hardly breath on that side. It's still sunken in and dented. What can I do for pain & should I go to a Dr asap?

Nasal Fracture When 19 Months Pregnant

+2

First, you need to be examined ASAP to make sure you don't have a septal hematoma which could cause your pain and sepal or structural damage. Obviously treatment will depend on the results of your nasal exam and the recommendations of your obstetrician. I always want to eliminate the need for administering drugs to a pregnant lady. A broken nose can be repaired at any time.

Possible nasal fracture during 2nd trimester

+1

You should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who treats facial fractures (if a fracture is present, that is). There will already be some significant healing by around 2 weeks so time is of the essence. Being that you are in your 2nd trimester, there are a few important issues to consider with regard to your unborn child. You should notify your OB/GYN of the situation and have him/her work directly with the plastic surgeon who you select. 

It may be possible that a quick closed reduction and stabilization of the possible fracture could address your problem. Treatment after the postpartum period is another option if needed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

Sorry for the serious injury but happy for the pregnancy. Best is to allow your OB/GYN to plan out the possible care and surgery with you and the PS he/she choses. Teamwork in this situation is the best and the captain of the ship is your OB/GYN. 

Nasal fracture and pregnant

+1

If you truly have a nasal fracture and you are pregnant, you can probably have the fracture reduced under the supervision of care between your plastic surgeon and your obstetrician.

Pregnant with Broken Nose

+1

Your safety and that of your baby should always come first.  For recent nasal fractures, they can be reduced under local anesthesia generally right after the trauma or 7-10days afterwards.  After this time period, it is significantly harder to do a closed reduction of the fracture under local anesthesia.  Your care should be coordinated by your board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon and your OB to ensure your safety.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nose Surgery in the First Trimester of Pregnancy

+1

From your description, you may have a serious facture of the nose. You should contact your OB and have her/ him refer you to an Ear Nose Throat or Plastic surgeon they usually work with for evaluation and possible putting the nose back in place (closed reduction). The procedure can usually be done under some sedation and you may not need to be put the sleep. Owng to your condition your OB should coordinate your care to maximize the baby's safety.