Dysport Recovery

I'm considering getting Dysport but I want to know what the typical recovery is like. Is a couple of hours enough? Or will there be bruising or swelling that will require a longer downtime?

Fast recovery expected from Dysport

+2

Dysport recovery is similar to Botox recovery. Many patients will have only slight redness at the injection sites for 1-2 hours. Icing the areas helps to minimize this. If there is bruising, which is uncommon, it can last about 7 days. The bruise is typically very small if it occurs and easily covered by makeup. The effects of Dysport are not immediate; usually they are evident 3-4 days after treatment.

Englewood Dermatologist

Dysport Recovery

+1

Dysport injections have virtually no recovery time, and no dressings or bandages are needed.  You may have small, red bumps at the injection sites that subside in 15-30 minutes. Go ahead and return to work- just stay upright and avoid alcohol and exercise for several hours , since excess movements can jolt the solution out of place.   Pain is minimal- patients may experience brief, tolerable pain during the injection and a minor amount of tenderness after treatment.  Drugstore pain relievers like ibuprofen can alleviate any aches afterward.

After several days and up to one week, you should see the full results of your Dysport treatment. The wrinkles at the treatment site should be greatly reduced and your apparent age may also decrease as a benefit. The positive wrinkle-reducing effects of your treatment can last up to six months. Many patients choose to return within this time to undergo touch up treatments to extend the wrinkle reducing benefits.

Syed Amiry, DO
Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport recovery

+1

Typically, there may be some swelling and redness at the injection sites immediately after injections.  For some, bruising may occur, and this may last for a few days to a week.

Sam Naficy, MD

Dysport/botox recovery

+1

Most patients are able to continue with their day after having dysport or botox. I always warn patients that they may get a bruise or some redness. But it's nothing that make up can't cover (this is true for men also). I ask my patients not to drink alcohol, exercise vigorously or go shoe shopping (bend down) immediately after the injection - all increase the chance of bruising.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Dysport Recovery

+1

Most patients resume normal activities immediately following the procedure. There is usually no discomfort after the procedure. Unfortunately, some patients may experience some bruising that can last several days or longer. This is uncommon when treating the frown lines and is more common when treating the Crow's feet.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Recovery from dysport injection

+1

I don't think that one would need any "recovery" time after having Dysport injected. You can do it over lunch and go back to work. There are some restrictions such as lying down for a few hours post injection.  However on occaision one might have "down time". This is time where you aren't looking your best. You might have a few red dots  for short time or could get a little bruising. So, don't do it the day befor e you are in a wedding. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Dysport and Botox Recovery

+1

The application of Dysport and Botox almost always involves a "no downtime" recovery if done properly with an experienced physician using appropriate technique.  Nearly all, if not all, patients can go back to work the same day and not have colleagues notice the effects of the application.  Swelling is negligible.  Minor bruising can result in a 1 out of 40 patients, but it is usually covered well with makeup.  Notify your doctor if you are an easy bruiser or if you are on blood-thinning medications.   The relaxing effects on your facial muscles are evident as early as 3 days after the application.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Essentially no recovery time

+1

My patients usually leave the office with little to no evidence of injections with Dysport or Botox. We use 31 gauge needles and very small volumes of saline to reconstitute our Dysport/Botox. This results in essentially no swelling and very little chance of bruising.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport recovery is the same as Botox: short but same risks of bruising, etc.

+1

Don't choose Dysport over Botox for any difference in recovery time. They work similarly. They are different from the fillers which can cause some temporary and localized swelling, but there is always a risk of very small bruises at injection sites, which a careful physician injector will try very hard to avoid.

Seeing a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who knows the surgical anatomy of the face will get you your best results with the least risk of any side effects. Good luck!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Rapid recovery from Dysport

+1

Recovery from a Dysport injection is no different from recovery from Botox.  I recommend that you:

1. Refrain from exercise activity for the rest of the day after your injection.

2. Avoid lying down for several hours after your injection.

3. Use ice to the treated areas.

Bruising is clearly possible, especially in the crows' feet regions (around the eyes).  This can be minimized by following the above recommendations (1-3).  If you tend to bruise easily, you may also wish to consider pretreatment with Arnica Montana, a safe over-the-counter medication that reduces bruising.

Ronald Friedman, MD